This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon Gledhill

This person is the most imaginitive and accomplished organist I have ever seen-and so humble about his many achievements!</p>

I remember going to one of his concerts and thinking to myself,"he cannot possibly negotiate this musical modulation"-not only did he do it,but `wow,was it in style?</p>

There still are(thankfully)many great organists(and I haven`t heard them all) who are admirably filling the places of those who are no longer with us.</p>

The advent of Utube has allowed me to see and hear many that I would not have otherwise.</p>

It`s all very exciting-I only wish i had become `electronically acceptable` many years ago! </p>

I find,these days,I`m `jetting ` off to exciting places all over the world,no need for a passport or negotiating those dreadful(but necessary)airport security rules,and.best of all-it`s cheaper by far1</p>

That doesn`t mean that I never want to physically travel again-I was in New York just before Christmas and even though it was cold like I`ve never experienced before,it was a super trip</p>

So to all those wonderful contemporary organists(and all other musucians)I say a big `thank you`.
    </p>

Re: Simon Gledhill

Mr. Gledhill is based in the Portland, Oregon area and I live nearby; therefore I've been lucky enough to hear him in concert quite a few times. He's nothing short of amazing!</p>

BTW, I looked at your profile just to see where you were... Not a lot of theatre organs in your neck of the woods </p>

However, I LOVED what you listed as Occupation: Forcibly Retired Musician!</p>

This reminds me of one of my favorite Laurel &amp; Hardy silent movies, titled "You're Darn Tootin" in which the Boys are members of a very horrible "town band"... at the START of the picture, until they get kicked out of the band for being even WORSE than the band!</p>

A couple of screen titles from that picture: "This is the story of two itinerant musicians who play, note by note or by rote, but by BRUTE FORCE!"
    </p>

and: "It was the town band's farewell concert; the audience had been demanding it for years"
    </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

When did Simon move from England? Last I knew he was working full time in banking in London.</p>

</p>

Jeff </p>

Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Jonas Nordwall? Jonas lives in Oregon.
      </p>

Comment

Oh, yeah... DUH. I am doing just that. </p>

</p>

Well, anyway... I have heard Simon live, too... Once at the Castro Theatre's superb Wurlitzer in SF and once at a 3/26 Kimball at Cleveland High School in Portland...</p>

Also a superb organist.
        </p>

</p>

Comment

Thanks for the info`-even if it was a bit innocently misleading.</p>

Yes,I had to retire because I came home late from a `gig`,now some ten years ago,exhausted and promptly had a brain heamorhage.</p>

It was a frightening experience and has certainly made me get my life in order-and,for once in my life,listen to what my body is telling me. </p>

I do still play,with some amount of difficulty,for church on Sunday mornings and have managed to produce several CDs over the last decade.</p>

however,my playing abilities are severely limited,but I do enjoy the efforts of others-Simon Gledhill is amazing.</p>

There are,fortunately,still many great organists on `the circuit` </p>

</p>

Wombat
          </p>

Comment

Working...
          X