Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E. Power Biggs is still the "King of Bach Organists" to this day since Johann S. himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E. Power Biggs is still the "King of Bach Organists" to this day since Johann S. himself

AMEN

Re: E. Power Biggs is still the "King of Bach Organists" to this day since Johann S. himself

PS: Mr. Biggs' Bachian majesty extends to the pedal harpsichord to boot

Comment

Re: E. Power Biggs is still the "King of Bach Organists" to this day since Johann S. himself

No. [:@]
      </p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKfz9ytdms&amp;feature=player_embedded</p>

[:D]</p>

Comment

Re: E. Power Biggs is still the &quot;King of Bach Organists&quot; to this day since Johann S. himself

Has anyone ever heard of a man named Virgil Fox before?[8o|]

Comment

Re: E. Power Biggs is still the &quot;King of Bach Organists&quot; to this day since Johann S. himself

duplicate

Comment

I appreciate Biggs and his ability to communicate intelligently via his impeccable technique; however I don't always prefer his interpretations over others I've heard.</P>

Anyway... its pointless to make comparisons.With somany gifted artists to choose from, why limit yourself? Enjoy each one for what they have to offer. [:)]</P>

Comment

Amen.

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

Enjoy each one for what they have to offer. [:)]</p>

[/quote]</p>

Well said sb32. I'm so bloody tired of folks comparing organists who cannot be compared in the first place. And don't mess with Cameron, okay? </p>

I heard David Briggs just the other day. He played the Franck C Major Fantasie. I wept... and wept... this is Franck at his most profound. Three movements which (on the surface) have nothing to do with each other, just connected with perfunctory chords. </p>

But that's the secret! It works, only Franck could have pulled it off.
                </p>

Comment

The first organ recordings that I really enjoyed were E. Power Biggs. As my tastes developed, I began to like Virgil Fox more for classical music. Today my tastes run to organ transcriptions played on the theatre organ. Either my tastes have improved or declined?
                  Allan

My home organ
                  Style D Wurlitzer pipe organ
                  http://bluemoonwalkinghorses.com/Sty...tion5_rev3.htm
                  Five Newfoundland dogs
                  Sixteen Tennessee walking horseshoes

Comment

[quote user="Jason E"] Well said sb32. I'm so bloody tired of folks comparing organists who cannot be compared in the first place. And don't mess with Cameron, okay? [/quote]</P>

Why would anyone want to mess with Cameron? He's been such a wonderfulinspiration toothers who might have otherwise abandoned their dreams merely 'cause they didn't have any musical talent. [:S] [:$]</P>
                    2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]I appreciate Biggs and his ability to communicate intelligently via his impeccable technique; however I don't always prefer his interpretations over others I've heard.

Anyway... its pointless to make comparisons.With somany gifted artists to choose from, why limit yourself? Enjoy each one for what they have to offer. [:)][/quote]</P>

Why limit yourself?? As one who has grown up with Biggs from my formativeyears, I suspect that I am not in any way alone in referencing/comparing everything I hear against my upbringing. [:D] Any significant departure from the absolute purity offered byEPBstrikes discord within my soul.[:(</P>

Having always viewed Bach from an EPB perspective since my youth; at my advanced age, I doubt that anything is going to change during my remaining years. Novel heretical views are not about to change that!</P>

Comment

There is nothing novel or heretical about liking other performers! Some of the performers I'm thinking of are not novel at all, being contemporaries of Biggs.</P>

Any significant departure from the absolute purity offered byEPBstrikes discord within my soul.
                        I suspect you might like Helmut Walcha. The epitome of simplicity and perfection: </P>

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]
                          Any significant departure from the absolute purity offered byEPBstrikes discord within my soul.
                          I suspect you might like Helmut Walcha. The epitome of simplicity and perfection: [/quote]</P>

Good guess; but nope; almost, but not quite.With no intent towhatsoever to summarilydismiss Walcha as being in any way insignificant or inferior; that would beentirely wrong! I doindeed enjoy his offerings. He is a wonderful artist. ButI still have this thing in my mind, going back a good 40 years, to anorganist: Anton Weiler???? perhaps?An internetsearch suggests that my recollection is perhaps defective; but going way back to the sixties? he stands outin my recollection as the most enjoyableinterpreter ofthe Little Organ Book. All these many years later, I can't be entirely sure asto whatabouthis efforts, turned mycrank.</P>

Without doubt,the diapasons on the organ used for hisL'll Organ Book thingy were absolutely awesome!!: As good as diapasons ever get!! A forensic re-evaluation offers no new info beyondthe fact thatwhateverAntonwas playing, So . . . 40 years later, I'm not entirely sure whether it was theorganist, or theorgan that captured my affection. </P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

</P>

Comment

Sometimes it boils down to first impressions. For example, I remember very clearly the first time I heard the Gigout "scherzo" played. For some reason that particular performance made an impact. It was a very verylong time ago, but even today when I hear it played I measure the performance against that first hearing.</P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

One of my favorite LP recordings by Biggs was made at the Thomaskirche in Leipzig. Biggs was allegedly the first westerner to be allowed to make a recording in what was then East Germany. I don't have it any longer - loaned it to a friend years ago and never got it back.</P>

However, there is a listing on amazon:</P>

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Ber%C3%BC...owViewpoints=1</P>

This listing, according to the listener comments is some sort of re-release of that original recording. I have invested $8 plus shipping and will find out soon enough.</P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Working...
                              X