Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E. Power Biggs is still the "King of Bach Organists" to this day since Johann S. himself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"This is a conversation I have with my students continually. They want me to make judgments regarding who is the best musician on a particular instrument among them. I attempt to point out that not everyone is talented the same. Therein lies the crux of the matter. Of course, my father always used to say, Opinions are like noses--everyone has one!</P>

My father also told me, When Satan was kicked out of heaven, he lit foot-first in the choir. 90% of all your troubles in a church will be related to the music. The percentage may be a little off, but he knew what he was talking about. For some reason, musicians have a unique ability to find fault where there is none, to create discord where there is none, to take insult where none was intended, be fearful someone might be better than them, and manage to find someone to blame.</P>

True freedom comes when one can make his/her contribution to the world of music, and fully appreciate the contributions of others without continually scrutinizing it under a microscope. Of course, there are always academic discussions regarding performance practice, but how many times have those discussions changed over the last century alone?"
    Well said, myorgan. It gets tiring, boring, listening to and reading all the negative criticism. I have to think that it has something to do with how secure people are. I used to do a good deal of accompanying singers, and I knew almost immediately when things weren't going to go well. Those who were secure in their craft, personhood were far easier to work with, and made things a pleasant experience. Those who weren't - is there such a thing as a singerzilla?

I think listening to music is a little like looking at a painting; you can almost always find something you like in it - even though you might not care for the rest of it.

"...be fearful someone might be better than them, and manage to find someone to blame." It's not unlike golf - there's always someone better than you out there. Get used to it.
    Last edited by Admin; 07-14-2016, 01:45 PM. Reason: fixed quoting

Comment

EPB was very important mainly because he brought into people's homes organ works previously unheard by non-musical people and he recorded on European instruments as well as on organs built in the USA. He had his limitations, as everyone
      does, but he was important. Comparisons with Virgil are pointless.

Comment

Yes I heard of Virgil Fox, saw him in person once or twice. Very good organist one of the top in his day.

Comment

Working...
        X