This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Believe it or not, Kim Il Sung!

I came across a rather bizarre little factoid last night that I couldn't resist passing along. I was reading a book review of "Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty" by Bradley K. Martin. The reviewer relayed this interesting tidbit: Kim Il Sung, the late father of Kim Jong Il (the Loony-Tunes who is currently running the country), was an accomplished organist. In his youth he played the organ in a Christian church during services. In 1950 when American troops entered Pyongyang, they found a church organ in Kim's command bunker.

I don't quite know what to make of this, other than to wonder what it might say about organ enthusiasts. I would hate to think we're all predisposed to becoming tyrants.

Re: Believe it or not, Kim Il Sung!

That is quite fascinating! Just think, the organ, the King of Instruments, is a contraption that isn't at all easy to control, but when a person does gain mastery, the sound is the most magnificent. So megalomania and the organ may indeed have some relationship here.

Another interesting tidbit is the fact that Minister Louis Farrakhan is an accomplished concert violinist. Believe it or not!

Comment

Re: Believe it or not, Kim Il Sung!

If Kim Il was an organist, then like most of us, he probably spent some time in the choir. Maybe Kim Il sung.

Lee

Comment

Working...
      X