This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenny Dee

Born 1923 in Chicago, Illinois, Lenny Dee's greatest record was "Plantation Boogie" in 1955. His dynamic and rhythmic style made him endure through the late 1970s.

Re: Lenny Dee

A friend recently gave me a video tape of Lenny Dee's show in Florida. My whole life, I thought Lenny Dee was excellent and I have all his recordings. this tape how ever, I feel demeans him professionally. Comedians don't play the organ when they do their standup routine, like wise, organists shouldn't tell jokes when they are playing the organ.
    He portrays him self as a goof ball, which he is not. I hope?

Comment

A friend recently gave me a video tape of Lenny Dee's show in Florida. My whole life, I thought Lenny Dee was excellent and I have all his recordings. this tape how ever, I feel demeans him professionally. Comedians don't play the organ when they do their standup routine, like wise, organists shouldn't tell jokes when they are playing the organ.
      He portrays him self as a goof ball, which he is not. I hope?

Comment

Lenny performed shows in a supper club. In this environment, you don't just play and play. You put on a show with jokes and little sung ditties. World famous performers have done this for years, look at the Pack Rats or any major performer. I know Len personally and off-stage he is anything but a goof ball.

Comment

Love to see that video.When I was 9 in 1970, i played the organ in dixie square mall Harvey Illinois for Wurlitzer. He always wanted me to play like Lenny. I practiced all the time, but i never could get it to sound like lenny. Probally because i played a wurlitzer orbit and not a hammond,and lacked the talent(lol).To this day i still listen to his music and marvel at how smooth this guy was. My dad always wanted to take me to st. petersburg to the dolphin den to see him play. My dad passed in 1974 and so did my desire to play the organ.I do remember him saying that his show down there was kind of a comedy night club atmosphere that he loved to joke with the audience. If you could ever copy that video, i would love to buy a copy. P.S. If your out there LENNY your the best. Where did all that great music go?

Comment

Also on the video are several country western music shows that he performed on. One with a B-3 set up and a couple of others with a different type organ. He plays magnificently! as always, but the host of the show asked him the dumbest questions I have ever heard in an interview!

Comment

Unfortunately, Lenny Dee passed away on Feb 12, 2006.

For more information, go to:

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/ken...enny%20dee.htm

Comment

Working...
              X