This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

losing balance on organ bench

Is there any truth to the story that Claire Coci in reaching for the sforzando piston over-reached and
    landed on the floor next to the bench? Sounds quite far-fetched and probably is in the same category
    as the story about the Riverside Crescendo Pedal. Simply, untrue.

I don't know about that story, but I once watched an organist nearly break his neck getting on a bench. The console was pretty much hidden in a small pit at the front of this particular church, and the organist was being shown to the audience by video on a screen at the front of the sanctuary. He had to crawl onto the bench, and as he did so he knelt on his own necktie. His head jerked up, and just in time he lifted his knee to release the deadly article of apparel.

Comment

I played in the theater at Cedar Point, an amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio, back in the summer of 1970. I brought my Thomas Paramount from home and every weekend my parnets would come and see the show. My job was to play before the show and kind of warm up the audience. Well, whenever mom visited she would get on stage before the first show and polish the organ for me. As the lights dimmed I entered and slid onto the bench and kept right on going, landing on the floor pretty hard. Seems she had overdone the Pledge on the bench that day. naturally the crowd thought it was part of the show. I always checked the bench after that. Come to think of it, I still do.
      Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Originally posted by bnelson218 View Post
        As the lights dimmed I entered and slid onto the bench and kept right on going, landing on the floor pretty hard. Seems she had overdone the Pledge on the bench that day. naturally the crowd thought it was part of the show. I always checked the bench after that. Come to think of it, I still do.
        Sounds like the old Victor Borge influence.

Rick Dostie
        Resurrection Lutheran Church
        Waterville, ME USA

Comment

Mishaps while playing cold probably be a whole new thread. haha I recall letting a guy sit it one night who weighed around 350 and about half way through his song I heard a loud crack and the bench collapsed. The guy of course was mortified and, unfortunately, I couldn't stop laughing, at least, not until I realized I had to finish out the night without a bench. Was it wrong to laugh?
          Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Working...
          X