Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembering LENNY DEE gone 10 years today..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembering LENNY DEE gone 10 years today..

Just a short pen to mention to remember Hammond organist LENNY DEE who left our musical world 10 years ago today and much missed here.
    Have been a fan of your music since the 60s and still playing the vinyl's issued 1954 through to 1985, over 50 of them. As they say, thank you for the music Mr Entertainer.
    HAMMOND XE200 Special Edition

Yes indeed! He also had a taste for the most extraordinary mods on his Hammonds some of which were hidden in the bench. RIP

Comment

Great organist indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crFre-q45WU

Comment

I laughed out loud when I came across the Down South LP at Salvation Army resale a couple of years ago. Bought it, really liked the playing too, have since stumbled on 6 or 8 other albums by him that also have the crisp Hammond playing style. Pity the other covers weren't as eye catching. The Hammond players from the back bins of K-mart outsold him 10:1 to go by what I usually find. Grant Ashley and Merlin weren't even on the same planet as Lenny Dee.
        city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

I recently picked up the organ he used to play at the Gold Nugget in Santa Barbara.

Originally posted by Hammond-Organist View Post
          Just a short pen to mention to remember Hammond organist LENNY DEE who left our musical world 10 years ago today and much missed here.
          Have been a fan of your music since the 60s and still playing the vinyl's issued 1954 through to 1985, over 50 of them. As they say, thank you for the music Mr Entertainer.

Comment

A newer listener to Lenny but already a big fan. I ordered the Down South LP a few months ago on eBay. He's fantastic.

Comment

A number of his albums are available on Spotify. https://www.spotify.com/uk/

Comment

You might enjoy more of this great all round entertainer on ORGAN CELEBRITIES 31A and 31B on You Tube.

Comment

Listen out for the B side of the 'Crazy organ rag 45' 'THE HAMMOND BOOGIE' is a real toe tapper and a fabulous 45 revs per moment its also on the Jasmine 2008 CD as Punxsutawney Boogie. Long live Solovox!

https://youtu.be/Lt8ee6i3tm4

Comment

Lenny was the best, I knew him personally, meant him in 1960 s, he played his white model a organ, he had a vibra harb built into the bench, also used a solovox, and ampex reel to reel recorders for echo, had a special speaker which was made from a A-20 amp and special speakers he used for everything and two leslies, had the a rebuilt totally and it was extrodnary, he loved it and told me it was the best sounding of all the tone wheel hammonds, of course there were some really extrordnary modifications in the speaker system, he loved the brilliance. He was such a talent I can,t even imagin how he did all that. a hugh loss of a great talent, I have all 56 of his 33 albums and a few 45 s

Comment

Always loved his music and as a teenager, I really was inspired by him. I was fortunate enough to talk to him once, and he was a gentleman. Truly a great guy who took time out of his day to speak with me. His 70s work was the stuff I grew up on and loved it.

Comment

Nice to read others personal stories and memories of Lenny, likewise not a day goes by without playing some of his recordings here such is our fandom of his talent. We are lucky to know some other fans locally and it is nice to enthuse and chat over the whole Lenny scene including Hammonds as you do including a friend who travelled overseas a few times just to meet the great man all wonderful stories. The thing is with that sound and style created by what was at the time something of a genius way ahead of his time I doubt we will ever see anything like it again particularly in a auto keyboard hands free world. The up side is a wealth of studio recordings, video footage survives and even memorabilia which is great news for lovers of his music so the legend will live on.

A discovery a few years ago was that Lenny sold his own cassette tapes at his shows which he compiled himself one of which contains a unreleased studio track. This track can be found on the tape 'THIS IS ME' and worth out for.

Comment

Big Lenny Dee Fan, I don't have all of his albums but a lot of them and I like a lot of the early stuff , when he played more straight organ with out all the rhythm stuff he add later

Comment

He was the Les Paul of the Hammond organ!
                            1963 C-3 147 Leslie
                            1972 X-77GT 2 - 77P Leslie
                            Kurzweil K 2000

Comment

I second that, Lenny was the best, larger that life, I have through the years able to spend a little time with him, his majic on the keyboard was unbelievable, I have 56 of his albums and some singles. amazingly he played a model A with lots of goodies, he loved this organ which was rebuilt by the Hammond company before Suzuki rolled in and made a mess .

Comment

Working...
                              X