Memorial Service at Denver Paramount for Bob Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Service at Denver Paramount for Bob Castle

This afternoon I attended a memorial service at the Denver Paramount Theater for my long-time friend Bob Castle, who presided at the Mighty Wurlitzer at the Paramount for many decades. I first met Bob a bit over 50 years ago at this very theater while I was finishing my senior year in engineering school in upstate NY. I flew out to Denver to look for a job and while I was in town I made contact with some of the local American Theatre Organ Society members. So it was fitting to say goodbye to my friend at the very place where we first met.

Bob didn't stray far from Denver to play programs so he is most likely not known much outside of Colorado. He never really learned to read music but could play anything he heard once, transposing it to any key if needed. His brain was wired for music, although he earned his living working for the Denver District Attorney.

The Paramount has a rare twin-console Wurlitzer Publix #1 (originally 20 ranks) organ installed in 1930 with a post horn added in later years. A Devtronix relay was installed after a major roof leak ruined the original Wurlitzer relay. So while the slide show of Bob's life was unfolding on the screen we were treated to computer data recordings of Bob playing the organ, complete with stop changes visible on the master console.

Here's one of the YouTube videos of Bob at the Paramount organ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_sBEbIXV-0

And here he is improvising during an open house at the theater. In this one you can see both consoles at stage level and an original Howard Seat on display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erjj_ItLL0I
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

I'm updating this post with a correction for historical accuracy. The "new" relay system at the Paramount is a Uniflex, not Devtronix.

Bob did record a CD at the Paramount with Ken Double called "Double Bill" which was issued in 2008 by Banda Records.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

Working...
    X