X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'MUST SEE' Paris Pipe Organs?

I'm off to Paris soon....

I'm going to have some time to photograph some of the great churches in the city I hope...

Aside from St. Sulpice & Notre Dame..what are the MUST SEE organs of the city that I should investigate?

i've stumbled into a few interesting organs by chance there before but was wondering if those in the know wouldn't mind listing which ones would be worth looking into?

:)

Re: 'MUST SEE' Paris Pipe Organs?

The church of St. Roch has a wonderful organ. It is right downtown near the Louvre. The three musketeers had duels on the front steps.

Comment

Congratulations on your trip! This is a subject that is near and dear to me.[8-|] Maybe you need a tour guide? [:D]

Here are theinstruments I know best, listed here by arrondissement:

1er arrondissement

• St. Eustache - a1989 Dutch organ in the C-C style; the casework is spectacular. There are usually recitals on Sunday - if you hurry you may hear the end of the recital after the Notre-Dame recital finishes.

• St. Roch - a wonderful marriage of Clicquot and early C-C. The orgue de choeur is also by C-C.
      • [/list]

4ème arrondissement

• (Notre-Dame) - tremendous!

• St. Gervais - the (much rebuilt) organ of the Couperin dynasty, splendid for early music.

• Although it contains no organ, you must visitla Ste-Chapelle - an architectural wonder of the Gothic era.

• St. Louis-en-l'Isle - a large new German/French baroque organ on Isle St-Louis (the island across the bridge from Notre-Dame); do try the Berthillon ice cream at one of the many shops.
        • [/list]

5ème arrondissement

• St. Étienne du Mont - the organ of the Duruflés, with its ancient (1633) casework; the spiral staircases are exsquisite.

• St. Séverin - a 1963 Kern organ behind an ancient façade; the church is extremely old and has the oldest bell in Paris; the touristy Latin Quarter provides many diversions, includingopportunitiesto sample some inexpensivecouscous.
          • [/list]

6ème arrondissement

• Notre-Dame-des-Champs - a nice C-C.

• (St. Sulpice) - the ultimate experience! Have you been up to the tribune to see the console? A must.
            • [/list]

7ème arrondissement

• Ste. Clotilde - the church of Franck, Tournemire and Langlais with its famous C-C organ, extensively modified. There is a statue of Franck in front of the church; it replaces the original which was destroyed in a storm not too long ago.
              • [/list]

8ème arrondissement

• St. Augustin - a fascinating Barker/C-C organ.

• La Madeleine - a spectacular C-C in a spectacular surrounding. Just outside of the church - consummate artistry in the form of pastries and confections at Fauchon; do buy something (it's all good), but avoid the temptation to take photos (it's not allowed).
                • [/list]

9ème arrondissement

• Ste. Trinité -a wonderful C-C, played by Guilmant and Messiaen, but with an uncertain future...
                  • [/list]

10ème arrondissement

• St. Vincent-de-Paul - a fascinating split-casework early C-C (needing restoration); the orgue de choeur is in totally original condition.
                    • [/list]

12ème arrondissement

• St. Antoine des Quinze-Vingts - a nice, late C-C.
                      • [/list]

16ème arrondissement

• Notre-Dame d'Auteuil - a warm, golden-sounding C-C;though the façade is rather unassuming it is well worth the journey to hear (its one of my favorite C-C organs).
                        • [/list]

18ème arrondissement

• Basilique du Sacré-Coeur - an immense C-C which is rarely played abovemf, due to the requirements of the services held there; the nearby Place du Tertre is a favorite touristic spot with lots of street artists and incredible panoramas.
                          • [/list]

That's it in a nutshell. You probably know that the arrondissements are arranged in a spiral, so some of these organs may be rather close to each other. Here is a map for reference purposes:

If you need any other tips about France or Paris, just PM me. [8-|]

Comment

Soubasse32,

Thank you for the excellent information!

Larry

Comment

yes I will be printing off that map and hitting many/perhaps all of those I hope! :)

Comment

Have you ever been to Paris, and how much time will you spend there?

Are you planning tovisit anywhere outside of the city?

Comment

just the city of Paris..staying there for 4 days. :)

Comment

The 'Organs in France (particularly the Paris section) website, with pictures, stoplists and links has been very useful to me over the years. Here it is:

http://orgue.free.fr/paris.html

Bon Voyage!

Leonard

Comment

Hi again!

I forgot to add the link for the rest of France in case you venture out of Paris:

http://orgue.free.fr/anglais/orgues.html

L.

Comment

[quote user="ponsonby britt"]

Hi again!

I forgot to add the link for the rest of France in case you venture out of Paris:

http://orgue.free.fr/anglais/orgues.html

L.

[/quote]

Wow, those websites are tremendous! Is there anything like that for German organs?

Home: '57 Hammond B3; '60 Hammond A-100; '64 Leslie 251; '77 Leslie 330; '80 Leslie 770; '64 Hammond PR-40
                    Church: '81 Zimmer 26-rank mechanical pipe organ

Comment

Not that I've been able to find, but then I haven't checked in a couple years. I'll nose around a bit and see what's out there.

L.

Comment

Come to thinkof it,the 'Het Orgel' site is great, but somewhat overwhelming:

http://www.hetorgel.nl/eindex.html

with too many old and broken links. It's feast or famine.

You might check out Orgelsite.nl for information on organs in Holland, Germany, Belgium and beyond:

http://www.orgelsite.nl/index.htm

>

Comment

greetings from Paris!...so far: I have photographed:

1. Notre Dame...wow (again....here a few times before but its always an experience to see the inside of that space).

2. St. Severin....beatiful, and very close to my hotel.

3. St. Germaine....very dark church, beautiful organ that i got to hear a bit...very very nice.

4. St. Clotilde....lovely space....there is a little chapel about a half block away, the door was locked but I could hear someone practicing on a organ in there!

Doing St. Sulpice for sure on Sunday!

Comment

not sure about today...going with a friend to some museums I think..tomorrow the plan is:

1. St. Sulpice at 10:30 to hear that service & hopefully Daniel Roth.

2. Walk to the Durufle church

3. Walk over to St. Eustache if we can make it in time for the 12:30 service

4. Organ recital at notre Dame at 4:30

:) :) Still have Monday too...missing anything that is MUST SEE?

Comment

Thanks for checking in with us, what a treat! [:)]

Don't forget- you cango up to the organ loft at St-Sulpice - keep your eyes open for when the door is opened (thereis usually a short line of folks waiting to go up, towards the end of the service).

I can recommend a good restauranttoo - Séraphin is located at the corner of Rue Mabillon and Rue Lobineau, very close to St-Sulpice. Rue Mabillon is located just off of the left "arm" of the crossof St-Sulpice (viewedfrom overhead). Rue Lobineau is just about 1/2 a block north of St-Sulpice. I remember having cold watermelon soup flavored with cumin - it was very tasty on a hot day! The salads are wonderful.

If you continue a block down Rue Lobineau until you reach Rue de Seine you will see a white building with white awnings - it is Gérard Mulot- here you can find wonderful baguettes, croissants, pastries, chocolates, etc.

A reminder:after the Notre-Dame recital you may be able to hear the end of the organ recital (if there is one) at St-Eustache. You have to go very quickly. I usually take the RER line, which may or may not save some time.

If you haven't seen it yet, do try to get to La Ste-Chapelle. There is no organ, but you will be glad you went.

Youshould be able to catch a late night service (10PM?) at Sacre-Coeur. It would be nice to have dinner somewhere around the Place du Tertre before going to the service. Chez Plumeau is a nice restaurant there, withlots of 'atmosphere'. Further down the hill (near the Abbesses metro stop, on a less-traveled side street) is a wonderful restaurant called Le Zouave des Abesses at 8, rue Durantin. It is a bit more pricey but is well worth it.

That's all I can think of for now. [8-|]

Comment

Working...
                              X