This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennedy Funeral Organ

Did anyone see/hear the pipe organ at the Kennedy funeral yesterday? It was a 3-manual, w/drawstop action. I have to admit, I watched most of the funeral just so I could hear the organ.

I began watching on ABC, but found that CBS had better sound reproduction during the hymn than ABC or NBC did. I actually, could hear the full range of the organ--including the lower pedal notes. I tried reading the tag in the middle, just above the Swell, but couldn't see it. The fa├žade pipes behind the choir were painted.

I'd be curious to learn more about the organ. Anyone know what it is?

Michael

Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Re: Kennedy Funeral Organ

I didn't see the service but I do know the church: Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help (a.k.a The Mission Church).

This is one of the finest-sounding organs to be found in the USA - it is a Hutchings with some modifications by Fisk. I wish it was entirely original but the changes are helpful for some literature.

If you are ever in Boston you must hear it in person - it completely fills the room and is very satisfying. I like it almost as much as theHook organin the Church of the Immaculate Conception (one of my very favorite instruments).

Comment

Hi guys,

Here is a link to info about the organ, including stoplist and detailed history--quite interesting:

http://www.tneorg.com:16080/mission/

Rick B.

Allen R-311D
      Baldwin Cinema II (214DR)
      Gulbransen Pacemaker
      Yamaha Clavinova CVP-209
      Nord C2 w/ PK27 pedals and Behringer K3000FX amp

Comment

That's the same link I provided. [;)]

Comment

Oh! So it is. [:$] Sorry about that. I didn't click on your link before I posted mine.
          Rick B.

Allen R-311D
          Baldwin Cinema II (214DR)
          Gulbransen Pacemaker
          Yamaha Clavinova CVP-209
          Nord C2 w/ PK27 pedals and Behringer K3000FX amp

Comment

it had a wonderful sound. I love when they open up most of the stops in those cathedrals.

Unfortunately i think that's the most time ol ted spent in a church.

Comment

Thank you for the link. I've added it to the list of organs to visit in the future. Fortunately, it's only 5 hours from me!
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Working...
              X