This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning software

Is there good, preferably free software i can put on a laptop computer that I can use to tune an organ? Being able to select or program different temperaments would be really good too. I downloaded AP Tuner and it didn't work, the program closed and gave me errors instantly. Maybe it's a Vista issue?

Re: Tuning software

Is it a pipe organ? If so, what sort of temperament is it supposed to be tuned to?

Comment

Do you have to tune a pipe organ? :O

I thought that the sound is depend on the pipe's length, and as much as I know the length doesn't change...

Comment

cantornikolaos....OK, I have re-read your post, and also your bio. I think you're a little more advanced in tuning that I originally thought, reading your post the first time around. I was going to suggest (if you were tuning in regular "equal tempered" stuff) to get a small keyboard with variable pitch, and just tune to that. But you've been around the block...so I will suggest that you make the "plunge" and buy yourself the best pipe organ tuner you can find these days.....a Peterson V Sam tuner. It has several "practical" temperaments built in. And the tuner is the first one that you can set a temperament the first time and not have to worry about the intervals "drifting". It is absolutely accurate, and you should have one.

Comment

I was hoping for a way to get around spending the money at least for the time being. I will eventually have to go ahead and get it.

Thanks

Comment

If you do a lot of good and faithful work for your employer, try dropping him a "hint" that a V Sam for a Christmas bonus would be a very practical gift. After all, "It is more blessed to give, than to receive".

Comment

Lol! I doubt that's happening anytime soon. That costs money.

I hope though, that I can squeeze more old ranks of flutes off him. I got a sweet-soundingold Rohrflute that is maybe from the middle of the 19th century.

Comment

OK. I wish you well. Say some prayers for yourself! My prayers have never, never gone unanswered. I have a Franciscan Friar that is my assistant. He is a joy to have on board with me, and a real treasure!

Comment

Nikolaos,

You can use Hauptwerk in any of at least two dozen temperaments and tune most organs using different starting points, e.g., A=440 Hz, A=415 Hz, A=435 Hz, etc. You can even make up your own temperaments. I think it's available in the free edition, too. Set it up with a good speaker system, use the computer keyboard and tune away!

Comment

Have you done a google on "Musical Tuner"? You will soon find a site with a host of either freeware or shareware programs. Of course, as you say, it could be a Vista issue.

You don't have to buy Hauptwerk to use your laptop as a tuner. If you are familiar with using soundfonts, you can use the free Viena program (or Vienna if your laptop has a Creative soundcard!) to make a suitable soundfont. The maker of Viena produces a free soundfont player called SynthFont which will also give you a choice of many temperaments. But again, Vista may be a problem.

John Reimer

Comment

[quote user="talss"]

Do you have to tune a pipe organ? :O

I thought that the sound is depend on the pipe's length, and as much as I know the length doesn't change...

[/quote]

You're kidding, right?

-Gary

If it's not baroque, don't fix it.
                      YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thevande...?feature=guide
                      Web Site (with sheet music): http://www.garyvanderploeg.com

Comment

Working...
                      X