This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you love your creshendo pedal?

I agree with your set up of the crescendo pedal. The small unit organ I play now throughs on the oboe too soon and adds the Swell 16' Bourdon. The oboe is too soon and the 16' Bourdon makes it too muddy. What gets me about these small pipe organs I have played in my area (even a larger 2 manual orchestral pipe with a 3rd manual Echo), the crescendo doesn't add the Great/Great 4' coupler.

At my service yesterday, I was playing a piece, Antiphon, a bit edgie. I have 5 manual pistons for GR & SW. I used most all of them to build up from the Echo Vox Humanna through all the strings, fluets, oboe, but used the crescendo to pull on the 8' Great Diapason. The last Great piston added that GR/GR 4' coupler. But to keep my hands free to move from chord to chord during the build up, the crescendo came in handy to add the last big stop.

Yes, the only large stop on this small Moller, is the 8' Open Diapason on the Great.

Boy would I like to change this organ.

Now the same piece played on my Allen Q345 with the crescendo sounded phonominal .

AlanA

Comment

Re: Do you love your crescendo pedal?

I'm definitely not a fan of the crescendo pedal on the organ at my church. The console is a 1950's Casavant and as such, while I'm sure the pedal could be reprogrammed, it's not something I can do. The problem, as with Tutti's organ, is that one of the very first additions that the pedal makes is ranks of reeds that are extremely jarring. It's a sudden leap from mezzopiano to forte which is just... ick.

Comment

The Reuter/Parkey that I play regularly has an SSO/SSL action with 4 programmable crescendo sequences - 1 preset and 3 adjustable. I rarely, if ever, set sequences because it is a PAIN! it has to be done step-by-step which takes a lot of time. On the Moller that I also play, because it has not been solid-stated, there is only one fixed crescendo sequence that I am pretty happy with.

Comment

Well, I think I like my crescendo pedal a little more now that I've used it. I used it for the recent offeratory thing I did and used it to increase the volume ever so slightly. It brought in exactly the ranks I needed for a little increase in volume. But man when I was practicing, if I wasn't careful the stupid thing brought in 1/3 of the darn great. Really, the pedal only sounds like it has about four positions - off, really quiet, somewhat loud, somewhat louder, and moderately loud. Not to mention it makes an awful squeaking sound. Could this be a mechanical problem a technician could fix? I'm working on getting to know the organ tuner.

Comment

Squeaking sound is usually two things rubbing together that shouldn't be!

A hinge or other part may just need lubricated with a grease. Your technician should be able to do it if you don't want to start hurling grease around inside your console :O)

Comment

This pedal is one of my favorite parts of an organ. I usually use it while holding the last chord/note of a song or the second to last for dramatic effect.

Comment

This was very handy for me on Sunday. I had the choir anthem (piano), offertory(piano) and then a hymn (organ).

I didn't even think about it until I was into the offertory but I hadn't opened up the hymnal or turned on any stops. So I was going to have to climb up to the organ (well, it's not THAT far away), get to the hymn and then scan the stops for which ones I wanted. Instead, I just hopped up, got to the hymn and popped the pedal on halfway to start playing. Then I just turned it up slowly until I got to the mix/volume I wanted. It was useful in avoiding a large dead spot in the service while everyone was waiting on me.

Comment

Why leave the crescendo pedal off your Hauptwerk setup? It is completely programmable with 40 stages (at least on the St. Anne's organ that comes with Version 2.) And you can save 8 complete setups and recall them with piston if you wanted to. Very flexible.

Comment

Working...
                  X