Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our Klais Organ (First United Methodist Church of Richardson, Texas)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Klais Organ (First United Methodist Church of Richardson, Texas)

Some of you here have asked if there were any sound clips of our 2006 Klais instrument. I have now posted a couple on box.net:

http://www.box.net/shared/6tt2u3t3s9(In Dulci Jubilo)

http://www.box.net/shared/ta7in1b9lu(Now Thank We All Our God)

I don't really think these do justice to the instrument, but it's the best I have available (and without copyright problems). The recordings were made by our local sound technicians for a CD we sold to our congregation at Christmas 2006. The organist is our staff organist, Mary Lightfoot. (The rest of the CD was choral and I didn't process those tracks.)

(By the way, that is the real acoustic of our Sanctuary--no reverberation enhancement.)

David

Re: Our Klais Organ (First United Methodist Church of Richardson, Texas)

Beautiful! Nice looking instrument. I looked up the stoplist--nice!

Comment

The builder is coming in January to install the remaining portion of the original contract: the Antiphonal/Solo Division (4 stops, including a Fanfare Trumpet) and a few additional stops in the main instrument. We are eagerly awaiting the completion of the instrument.

David

Comment

WOW! What at treat! Mary is very talented. I especially enjoyed her In Dulci Jubilo because of the little extra reed part that is not in my edition. Did she edit that in herself? If not, I would be curious to know who the editor is. Either way, it is a delightful enhancement to the version that I have been playing for years. Many thanks!!

Comment

Wonderful, very clean sounding but very warm and lovely, also well registered and played.

Comment

David, what a beautiful organ! I'm so happy to finally hear a recording!

What about the Texas stop?? [;)]

Comment

That is a special feature Klais included just for us (but they have done similar things for others). After a time delay (to prevent activation accidentally or by curious children) it plays "The Eyes of Texas" on a brass chorus. (You can imagine the effect if it were to be activated during a service! I think it can be disabled by a key, too.) Curious people will pull the stop, find that it does nothing (not knowing about the delay) and then push it back in before it takes effect.

David

Comment

[quote user="davidecasteel"]

That is a special feature Klais included just for us (but they have done similar things for others). After a time delay (to prevent activation accidentally or by curious children) it plays "The Eyes of Texas" on a brass chorus. (You can imagine the effect if it were to be activated during a service! I think it can be disabled by a key, too.) Curious people will pull the stop, find that it does nothing (not knowing about the delay) and then push it back in before it takes effect.

David

[/quote][:O] That's neat! I couldn't find the stop on the stoplist, though. Is it on the stoplist?

Comment

No, we didn't include it on the Stoplist because we don't really publicize its existence. I understand that the "Thunder" stop may be taken over by the 4' flute being added to the Choir Division. I suspect we won't really miss it....

David

Comment

[quote user="davidecasteel"]

No, we didn't include it on the Stoplist because we don't really publicize its existence. I understand that the "Thunder" stop may be taken over by the 4' flute being added to the Choir Division. I suspect we won't really miss it....

David

[/quote]

What does the Thunder stop do?

Comment

It randomly plays combinations of the lowest Pedal notes with variable delays between. I can't think of any truly musical uses for it, but there may be some.

David

Comment

I think Klais have a bit of a reputation for things like that.

I think on one organ there's one labelled Foxtail (or similar) in German. When pulled, something similar to a feather duster pops out! I also vaguely remember reading about a stop which opens a drinks cabinet....

I wonder what they've done in Auckland?

Comment

These sorts of stops are not unique toKlais - they have been part of organbuilding for centuries.Kudos toKlais forpreserving such traditions!

The "Thunder" stop is particularly useful when playing storm fantasias from the mid 19th-century. These pieces are not always in good taste but they were written bynearly every composer,good and bad. From an historical point I think it isimportantto be able to hear these pieces as they were concieved - thunder stop and all.

Some very famous instruments also have a "Hail" or "Rain" stop... to go along with the Thunder, of course. [li][<:o)][st]

Comment

Hail yes....

David [;)]

Comment

david you really made me happy :)

since teenage these two pieces (beautifully played) were high on my favorite

list:)

also the instrument appear to be very good

Comment

Working...
                              X