Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know why the organ black key is diffrent that a piano black key?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know why the organ black key is diffrent that a piano black key?

Like, an organ black key in curved at the top, and the piano is straight. Anyone notice this? Anyone know why this is?

I just sketched this out in MS paint, and this is looking at the black keys from the side.:

http://www.iaza.com/work/100104C/pianorgkey13674.JPG

Also: Here's an organ with "piano style" black keys:

http://www.stmaryschurchbrighton.co.uk/ORGAN%20CONSOLE%20%28Small%29.jpg

And the"organ style" black keys:

http://www.go-organs.org.uk/organs/o...de-console.jpg

Anyone see what I'm seeing?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

~Dusty

Re: Anyone know why the organ black key is diffrent that a piano black key?

There is a lotof variety onorgan keys; piano keystend to bemuch moreuniform, no matter the age or the builder.

I'd say the reason organ sharps are so different might bebecause there are so many different types of organ actions and so many different types of 'organ' (pipe, digital, theatre, Hammond, synthesizers, etc.). Each of these can have a different sort of technique and a different repertoire. I'd assume a shallower slope might make it easier to glide across the keys and play a glissando - perhaps this is more typically found on organsdesigned forpop music?

I'm just making an educated guess... [*-)]

I notice most pipe organs have fairly piano-like sharps, with some exceptions: one instrument I know well does have more of a slope - the keys are also very plastic-feeling and the touch is quite light. It reminds me a bit of a Hammond organ touch... but it is a classical pipe organ nonetheless.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I though too... but I wanted to make sure.

Weird, my Lowery organ has slopped sharps, and it's a symphonic holiday.

Comment

Dusty, Souby,.....

Doesn't this have to do with making clearance for the thumb or fingers to reach the pistons?

At least that was what I have always observed.

Comment

*bump*

After playing Widor Toccata a couple hundred times I think I might know why. I played it both on the piano and organ, and it's clear that the organ was lots easier, to move swiftly and smoothly across all the black keys. With the piano, it was lots harder becase it didn't have that curve on the top, and bottom (yes there's a longer curve on the bottom of a black key on the organ than piano)

Or it just might be the style of the builder... I don't know exactly [^o)]

Comment

Working...
          X