Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forthcoming CD recording - which organ would you recommend?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forthcoming CD recording - which organ would you recommend?

First of all, I'm a composer, not an organist, but I hope this forum will assist me with my enquiry.

A piece of mine for organ and orchestra, Gwylmabsant, has been performed and broadcast several times (most recently on Radio 3). I'm now compiling a commercial CD of orchestral works and would like to include this piece on it. As is the case so often, the organ will have to be recorded separately from the orchestra and mixed in later, so I have a more or less free choice as to which organ to select for the job.

However, it would be best if it were in London or its environs, and the organist's first choice - St John's Smith Square - is not really ideal because a) the venue is extremely expensive to hire, b) it will be closed for a large part of the summer for building work.

The short (6 minute) piece is a kind of celebratory overture, and is more showy than subtle, and an exultantly loud sound is required at the end! If you have any recommendations, I'd be most glad to receive them so that I might make further enquiries.

Thanks,

Gareth Glyn.

Re: Forthcoming CD recording - which organ would you recommend?

[quote user="Gareth Glyn"]As is the case so often, the organ will have to be recorded separately from the orchestra and mixed in later, so I have a more or less free choice as to which organ to select for the job.[/quote]

First off, thanks for adding to the contemporary organ literature. I'm sure there will be specific suggestions, but my general suggestion would be to try and match the hall to the one in which the orchestra was recorded. You can realistically mix volumes, but the reverb times and ambience of the halls may be harder.

Which brings me to my pet peeve about such artificially mixed recordings of say, Saints-Saens #3 etc: They don't sound real to my ear when I wear headphones or on a good sound system!!!! Why is it not worth getting that one extra additional member (the organist) to show up at the same time as the other 100? Or perhaps more importantly, why do the other 100 refuse to perform in a space with an organ? This question has always mystified me, and in my opinion, your recording will quadruple in merit simply by recording both in the same venue. At the same time.

Even mixed live, there may be issues of balance. This weekend I heard the SF Symphony perform Mahler's 2nd (the Resurrection). I'm not even quite sure I heard the Ruffati in that famous final movement, even though we were in the front row (probably went right over our heads), which was hugely disappointing to me as the recording I have of that piece sends chills up my spine when I heard the choirs and organ of heaven playing (well, that's my interpretation).

My $0.02 as an amateur music lover.

Comment

Working...
    X