This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only one reed

You find yourself in a design situation where the organ will be small enough that there will be only one reed stop. What should that reed be? For the sake of this discussion, let's assume a two manual instrument of 15 ranks. The reed can be a straight or unit stop but you only get one to work with! This organ will be in a protestant church with a fairly traditional music program.

Thoughts?

Re: only one reed

Trumpet playing at 8 on each manual and 16-8-4 on the pedal. It would need to be very carefully voiced and balanced to be as useful as possible under the circumstances. If it were planted on an enclosed division (presumably Swell), this would make it more versatile.

Comment

My first thought was also a 8' Trumpet. Otherwise, an 8' Oboe would be nice. [;-)]

Yesterday I played a 3-manual Moller with the following Trumpets:

State Trumpet 8' -- Floating

Festival Trumpet 8' -- Great & Choir

Trumpet 8' --Great

Trompette 8' -- Choir & Swell

Comment

a Tromba would be flexible.

Comment

Depending on the size of the building (and I'm assuming such an organ would be in a pretty small building), I'd want something along the lines of a Cornopean or Tromba or Willis-type trumpet. Something relatively smooth that would work as a solo reed where something like an Oboe is called for in the registration, and as a chorus reed in a smaller room. Voicing-wise, it would be brighter and harmonically richer in the 16' octave progressing to smoother in the treble.

In a unit organ it'd be at 8' in both manuals (and possibly 4' in one of them), and 16', 8', and 4' in the pedal.

Comment

I've seen everything from an 8' Krummhorn to a 4' Oboe and even a Trompette-en-Chamade as the only reed. It's always interesting to get other's perspective on these issues.

Comment

I'm rather partial to 8' Pedal reeds; I have played a small tracker of 12 stops where this was the only reed on the organ and while perhaps a 16' would be more useful, there's nothing better for Sweelinck or some of the Bach chorales.

On that organ, the sesquialtera on the Positive could be used for much the same purpose as a reed, though. 

Comment

My opinion is that I would make the only reed a trumpet voiced as a middle-of-the-road sound. A really bright trompette stcks out to much in a light combination and a mellow tuba doesn't have quite enough fire to add spice to the ensemble. Having the trumpet at 8' in the pedal allows for use as a pedal solo stop as well as adding punch to the pedal when desired.An extension to 16' is always nice. Trumpet pipes can be mitered to fit under a low ceiling without affecting the tone.

Allan

Comment

I agree with Menschenstimme 100%!

http://www.nicholsandsimpson.com/prod03.htm

That 23 rank organ has one unit Trumpet located in the swell.

Comment

another endorsement for a well scaled and carefully balanced Trumpet (enclosed in Swell division). My preference would be one that has just enough edge to add to otherwise full organ, but also not so blatant that it would not work as a solo voice. A also would like to see it extended to 16-foot in the pedals, and available at the 4-foot pitch to use as a cantus voice in the pedals. In a very small organ, I have seen the ubiquitous "organ" oboe, and also a Flugel Horn (an oboe-like reed stop with more fullness of sound).

Rick in VA

Comment

ONE reed: A loud Oboe that can be quieted to a "Hautbois" under expression...but when expressed fully is more a soft Tromba.

This is what Reuter did on literally hundreds of small pipe organs (I presently have 3 Reuter Oboes from 4 different unit organs.

Only in one case is the Oboe a true oboe....and in that case it was actually built for another organ and got put into this one at the factory (different OPUS numbers)...so was either an economy move or someone just canceled a true oboe so Reuter stuck it in the next organ going off the line..not sure).

The 2 others are the same..VERY large scale, heavy metal (lead) ranks that are full throated, very reedy/deep. They only sound like a oboe under full expression...Trevor is always trying to get me to rename mine something else as it really is not a oboe sound the way I have it out in the open...but I love the sound it makes..just ideal for certain applications...and under expression I think a marvelous compromise for smaller organs with only one reed.

Comment

A high pressure 5 1/3' rohr schalmei mounted en-chamade. Just kidding!

I would want an enclosed unit reed at 16 (full length), 8, and 4'. I would like the bottom octave of the 16' to have ample fundamental and dark (English shallots leathered). As we work up the compass of the reed I would want 8' c 25 to have domed french shallots (not to brash). I would want continued brilliance in the reed as it ascends in pitch.

I would play it on the Swell at 8 & 4 (Given there is a 16' flue in this division), and 16' and 8 on the Great. Pedal Division 16, 8, 4

Comment

Working...
                        X