This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crystal Cathedral Organ

I never even thought about the most obvious thing... the windows!

Heh, I suppose then the organ sounds like a big organ full of celestes!

What does glass do to the acoustics?

Comment

Judging from the recording, the glass makes the organ a lot brighter, and it actually gives it a decent amount of resonance. Doesn't beat stone, but it's better than Ocean Grove in my area.

Comment

It does give good resonance, but, alot of times, during the prelude/processional, they will open up all of the windows for the service. I wonder what it sounds like then (as far as accoustics). Yeah, you can get it tuned, but, it will go out of tune VERY quickly.

Comment

I was there on ywo occasions and I do have to say with the 90 foot doors open the sound does get lost a bit especially if a breeze is blowing. With the doors closed it was a pretty good sound with effective 32' pedal reeds. However the bass that you feel was a little lacking. I later discovered that there is a digital rank for the pedal and I imagine this is to try and enhance it a little. Other than that I found it to be quite impressive when you are used to hearing 2 or 3 manual organs most of the time!

Comment

Am new at this forum, so I do not wish to look like I am picking on Gamba. Just wanted to add my 2cents.

One has to put the Crystal Cathedral organ in context with the building. Both are amazing architectural sites (and sights). Then, one has to understand that the organ is a combination of instruments. The earliest being from the original church (not much left of it, thank heaven) the next and Aeolian-Skinner built for the NY Phil. at Lincoln Center. I heard a performance there circa 1955 of the Poulenc played and conducted brilliantly by Thomas Schippers. Tommy was terrific, the organ was OK, the hall was terrible. The organ was ripped out the next summer when the BB&N designed stage was ripped out as well. The organ ended up in Anaheim and was put into the "puzzle" that became the Crystal Cathedral Organ.

There are those who say it is ugly. Maybe, but put it in context architecturally. Now, you want to have fun with the same idea? Try the organ at Disney Hall in Los Angeles. If you frame it visually and leave out the hall it looks like something right out of the Hanted Mansion at Disney Land. If you put it into the contect of the hall and Mr. Garey's design(s) it begins to make some sense.

For me, both organs ar OK. At the Crystal Cathedral Fred Swann made that cookie shout.

Comment

Can I possibly reiterate the amount of butt that that "Hymns on The Crystal Cathedral" CD kicks? His arrangement of "How Great Thou Art" he does is simply the best stuff I've ever heard done to hymns. Just pure raw musical power.

Comment

Actually, re: Crystal Cathedral Glass
                Sound is vibrating air, no more, no less. It follows the basic law of physics, stating that for every action therei s an equal and opposit reaction. In order to have sound reverbarate one has to send it to a mass. For instance, Mr. Klipsch designed his famous "KlipschHorn" speaker system by sending the bass into a wall of sand. Great mass.

The Crystal Cathedral obviously sends the organ sound into walls of glass. Yep, the glass vibrates too, so the reverbaration period slows down little by little. In the mean time there is one hell of a reveraration period in that house. You shuould be in the place when you and organist are the only two persons in the hall.

Those of us living in Southern Califlrnia not only wonder about the sound, we wonder about how all that glass will stay up there in a 6.5 on the Richter scale.

Comment

>we wonder about how all that glass will stay up there in a 6.5 on the Richter scale.

You won't have to wait much longer to find out.

Comment

How thick is the glass?

Comment

Good question - perhaps a good Google Search wil provide the answer. Equally important is the engineering of the structure that holds all that glass.

Comment

Hmm, I can't find any thing as to how thick the actual glass is. I have a feeling it's not one simple figure, however. I bet the glass thickness varies as to what its purpose is (the roof might a different thickness than the walls).

How much would the glass thickness effect the sound waves? Would a thicker piece absorb more?

I think that the the engineering of the rest of the structure is amazingly important. I found a bigger image of the cathedral here. I'm pretty sure those steel beams were specifically engineered to withstand anything.

Comment

Reflection of sound (resulting in reverabartion within the area in which the sound is produced) depends on BULK, to put it simply.

You can tap lightly on an inexpensive sliding glass window and the glass will vibrate (undulate, whatever)

Do the same with the glass on a sliding glass door and you will not get the glass to undulate - so its bulk is greater, therefore it will reflecty sound better.

Now, do the same to a heavy glass mirror and you will get no undulation at all, an excellent reverbarant (is that a word?)

Another example. My apartment complex is 1960's 2x4 construction with no insullation between apartments. My neighbors who share my living room walls have a large TV and sound system in their living room. Blissfully, they also have the walls we share covered with heavy glass mirrors, glued to the gypsum (plaster board). I do not hear their TV or music.

Also, one must realize (sorry, this is pedantic, I know) that upper registers, 100 Mghz and higher (with A above middle C being 440 Mghz and each higher octave divided in half) tend to travel upward, therefore the mixtures on an organ will degfinitely sound different in a blacony than on a main floor of a church, auditorium, what have you.

I think the best place to hear the Crystal Cathedral instrument is in the lower rows of the balcony directly facing the organ.

Comment

Working...
                          X