Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howard Goodall's Organ Works

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Howard Goodall's Organ Works

    This is an informative and entertaining documentary on the history of the organ. I think it was originally a British program. For years it was only available on VHS, here in the U.S. I just found out it's on DVD. Here on Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Goodall...5334838&sr=1-2

    Watching this was what made me fall in love with Cavaille-Coll organs. Towards the end, it discusses modern electronic organs, including Hammond, Yamaha and Allen. It also features a comparison of a Willis pipe organ with an Allen in a large hall ( I forget the name).

    So pipe purists may hate that part.

  • #2
    He made a few TV series. including 'Big Bangs' (pivotal moments in the evolution of music) and 'How Music Works', which does what it says on the tin, in a 'user-friendly' way. Organ Works was good, though his coverage (sic) of the electronic organ other than the Allen and the tonewheel Hammond was poor. He wanted to emphasise how different it was and insisted on 'rock guitar' etc being demonstrated. During filming, there was much protest, with the organist (and Yamaha) wanting to portray the organ (EL90?) in its orchestral guise, but he got his way.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

    New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

    Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by andyg View Post
      He made a few TV series. including 'Big Bangs' (pivotal moments in the evolution of music) and 'How Music Works', which does what it says on the tin, in a 'user-friendly' way. Organ Works was good, though his coverage (sic) of the electronic organ other than the Allen and the tonewheel Hammond was poor. He wanted to emphasise how different it was and insisted on 'rock guitar' etc being demonstrated. During filming, there was much protest, with the organist (and Yamaha) wanting to portray the organ (EL90?) in its orchestral guise, but he got his way.
      Yes, if someone is wanting a lot of coverage of non-classical organs, this isn't for them. It is an interesting history of the pipe organ however. He travels to many different locations and shows the different organs. Reed organs are also covered with a visit to a museum of same.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's available on Netflix to subscribers.
        http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Howard-...0&trkid=222336
        -Admin

        Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

        Comment


        • #5
          I purchased a copy of the DVD from Presto Classical (in the UK) about a year ago.

          They mailed it to me in New Zealand and it arrived about four days after they posted it.

          http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/W...ion/5186551322

          Comment


          • #6
            Just viewed this 1996 series on DVD. I've also seen Howard's "Big Bangs" and "How Music Works" series. I really enjoy his work. IMO he's one of England's living treasures.
            -------

            Hammond M-102 #21000.
            Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
            Hammond S-6 #72421

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kiwithrottlejockey View Post
              I purchased a copy of the DVD from Presto Classical (in the UK) about a year ago.
              I just tried that link and they said it is no longer available.
              A few years ago I bought this DVD from Amazon (having enjoyed the series when on TV). Amazon sent it OK, but their copy wouldn't work here in Australia for more than one or two viewings (wrong region!). I think I returned it and they refunded.
              So buyer beware!

              John Reimer

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by j reimer View Post
                I just tried that link and they said it is no longer available.
                A few years ago I bought this DVD from Amazon (having enjoyed the series when on TV). Amazon sent it OK, but their copy wouldn't work here in Australia for more than one or two viewings (wrong region!). I think I returned it and they refunded.
                So buyer beware!

                John Reimer
                Yes, the Amazon version states "Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only)"

                The series has been uploaded to YouTube, but that may be removed if the owner of the rights objects:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdOegcZsUM
                -------

                Hammond M-102 #21000.
                Leslie 147 #F7453 in the queue.
                Hammond S-6 #72421

                Comment

                Working...
                X