This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schweitzer's 1906 pamphlet

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Schweitzer's 1906 pamphlet "The Art of Organ Building and Organ Playing in Germany and France" Google returns a gazillion links but I still can't find the actual document

Are you sure it was published in english?

Comment

I'm not sure what language was used for the original edition but given that this document was supposed to have spawned the neo-baroque movement I am sure that an English translation must have been published at some time.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Zard View Post
        I'm not sure what language was used for the original edition but given that this document was supposed to have spawned the neo-baroque movement I am sure that an English translation must have been published at some time.
        well...I don't know about it having begun the neo-baroque movement...that really didn't get going much until the 1950's in Europe and the LATE 60's in the US, with builders like Dirk Flentrop and Rudolph von Beckerath leading the charge (along with Reiger Orgelbau and a few others) and American advocates for that style like E. Power Biggs, Robert Noehren (sp?) et al. It wasn't till later that better study of the historic instruments along with builders trained in the shops of von Beckerath and Flentrop and other european builders brought the U.S. organbuilding scene beyond the mis-understandings of the neo-Baroque era. Americah organ shops like Brombaugh, Taylor and Boody, Pieter Visser, Fritz Noack, Paul Fritts, and a whole host of others all srpung from those 'pioneer' orgelbewegung advocates, but with much better, accurate study of period instruments. Just my opinion, take it FWIW.

Rick in VA

Comment

VA
          Thanks for your comment. I believe what you describe is the Execution of the Movement's philosophies whereas Schweitzer's pamplet was the Conception of the Movement's philosophies.

http://lawrencephelps.com/Documents/...thistory.shtml
          quote - Because this pamphlet was the first clear statement of some of these very penetrating and important observations, it became the first and basic document of the German organ reform movement. end-quote

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/...ert_Schweitzer
          quote - Schweitzer's pamphlet "The Art of Organ Building and Organ Playing in Germany and France" (1906, republished with an appendix on the state of the organ-building industry in 1927)[7] effectively launched the twentieth-century Orgelbewegung, which turned away from romantic extremes and rediscovered baroque principles—although this sweeping reform movement in organ building eventually went further than Schweitzer himself had intended. end-quote

Comment

Try addall.com. Here is the link to this (reprinted) booklet:

Schweitzer's Art of Organ Building and Organ Playing in Germany and France

Prices range from $30 to $120.

Comment

You can get the German reprint from the "Deutsches Albert Schweitzer Zentrum". http://www.albert-schweitzer-zentrum...ikationen.html (download the pdf wih the list, it is on the first page)

Comment

Thanks - just ordered a copy

Comment

Working...
                X