This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHRISTCHURCH Town Hall Rieger Organ

Is there yet any news from NZ on the fate of the beautiful Rieger in Christchurch Town Hall in light of yesterday's quake? The cathedral has suffered severe damage-the tower collapsed, etc etc.

Any report would be much appreciated.

Philip,

At this point I would be more concerned about the human tragedy than about buildings or organs. The human suffering there right now must be immense.

AV

Comment

Originally posted by arie v View Post
      Philip,
      At this point I would be more concerned about the human tragedy than about buildings or organs. The human suffering there right now must be immense.
      AV
      Agreed. From another list:

South Island Organ Company was reported to have 6 men were inside Durham Meth Church dismantling the organ when the 6.3 quake hit and reduced it to rubble. Moritz escaped unaided and helped Neil H and Joshua (trapped to safety), but Neil S, Scott and Paul (ChCh helper) are still trapped inside.

Comment

Heartfelt apologies for my insensitivity. The suffering of New Zealanders is indeed immense and I did not mean to overlook it. There are many news sources on air and online that have brought that ought, and those in trouble are in my thoughts and prayers. I meant only to inquire about a valuable, unique instrument's condition, especially after so much work was done on it in recent months.

Comment

Here is a story that mentions the Cathedral. It did not fare very well:
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12546961

Additional reports:
          http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/vid...sky-news-video

Hopefully they will be able to reach those that are still trapped inside of buildings.
          Last edited by soubasse32; 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip the organist View Post
            Heartfelt apologies for my insensitivity. The suffering of New Zealanders is indeed immense and I did not mean to overlook it. There are many news sources on air and online that have brought that ought, and those in trouble are in my thoughts and prayers. I meant only to inquire about a valuable, unique instrument's condition, especially after so much work was done on it in recent months.
            I understand completely. I thought of asking about the movie The Hobbit, on another forum, which is being filmed there, and realized that if I did, it would look insensitive if I didn't mention the human suffering as well. Sometimes one can take for granted that we all are concerned about the human suffering in tragedy and also have additional concerns, but others will take that as insensitive, because it looks like the human suffering is being overlooked when it really isn't.

Comment

Although I am very much concerned about the human suffering caused by the earthquake, I also have curiosity about the extent of damage in the Cathedral, and the fate of the organist I met there in 2004, Paul Ellis. In the first link SB32 posted it appears that the part of the Cathedral interior where the organ was located is more or less intact--the major damage appears to have been at the rear of the Nave when the tower collapsed.

I visited NZ in 2004 on a guided tour and had an opportunity to see and hear the organ in the Cathedral while I was there, and to meet the organist. I was carrying a baseball cap that said "Texas" (couldn't wear it inside, of course) and Paul asked me where in Texas I was located. When I told him I was from Dallas, he asked if I knew Ellen Hart, who was the organist for a large Catholic Church in that area. I searched my memories and knew of an "Ellen" (didn't remember her last name) who was at that time the organist at St. Marks in Plano, TX; I am a handbell ringer and through one of her ringers had performed as a substitute at her church a few times. She had a "British-type" accent, and so I described her to Paul. He responded "That is she! She was my organ teacher." It seems that Ellen had spent a lot of her earlier time in Christchurch, NZ.

Somewhere I have Paul's e-mail address (from 2004) but I haven't found it. I would very much like to know what his status is. I have been wondering ever since another of my fellow travelers on that 2004 trip (in Melbourne, Australia) first sent me information about the earthquake (which I received before hearing about it on Fox News). My recollection is that the Cathedral organ was not particularly special, but I am always interested in what happens to one.

And yes, my biggest concern is for the people who have been injured, killed, or left bereft of habitation and work.

David
              Last edited by davidecasteel; 02-24-2011, 01:45 AM. Reason: add, fix

Comment

In all fairness, the fact that a question was asked about the status of the organs doesn't necessarily imply that anyone was being insensitive. If my memory serves me, there were similar discussions about the status of the organs in Louisiana after Katrina, and there must have been similar discussions after 9/11.

She had a "British-type" accent, and so I described her to Paul. He responded "That is she! She was my organ teacher." It seems that Ellen had spent a lot of her earlier time in Christchurch, NZ.
                I think she was born and raised in NZ, but I don't know where, specifically... Probably the Christchurch area? Either way, it's such a small world!

Comment

hi darlings..please keep the personal opinions on politics to the greasepit ok? thanks!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've moved several messages in this thread to this thread

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...419-Media-Bias

in the Grease Pit as their content was political and not germaine to this topic

I would also like to draw your attention to the fact there are several members of the Organ Forum who bear the title of Moderator above their avatars. They have earned that title through their contributions and the way they have conducted themselves here. They have my trust and respect and I expect members to honor their requests. NYCFarmboy has served as Moderator here for many years so I'm particularily disappointed and displeased that his request to take the politics to another thread was ignored at least twice.

In the future I will take punitive action against members who ignore requests from Moderators.
                    -Admin

Allen 965
                    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Admin, I suppose my mention of where I'd been watching coverage of the NZ earthquake sparked the media bias disruption, but I had no intent to cause a derailing of the thread--it was an honest disclosure of where I'd been getting my information. When someone responded in a negative way to my post, I did feel that a redirect was necessary. Perhaps I erred. I certainly did not continue after NYCFarmboy made his request. It never crossed my mind that a simple mention of a media outlet would cause such a firestorm of controversy.

David

Comment

Thanks David....very much appreciated! Just have to keep the flamethrowing posts to the greasepit and keep this to the topic originally posted.

SO...back on topic...I understand the devastation is beyond words....any updates on the original topic?

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
                          Admin, I suppose my mention of where I'd been watching coverage of the NZ earthquake sparked the media bias disruption, but I had no intent to cause a derailing of the thread--it was an honest disclosure of where I'd been getting my information. When someone responded in a negative way to my post, I did feel that a redirect was necessary. Perhaps I erred. I certainly did not continue after NYCFarmboy made his request. It never crossed my mind that a simple mention of a media outlet would cause such a firestorm of controversy.

David
                          No problem David. You did nothing wrong. It is expected that threads will occasionally drift off topic. We can deal with that by splitting the thread and/or moving it to a more appropriate forum.

What got my dander up here is that a Moderator's request to end the political discussion in this thread was ignored. That is unacceptable. Anything posted prior to that request was not the reason for my displeasure.
                          -Admin

Allen 965
                          Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                          Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                          Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Hear, hear......very well said. I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
                              Although I am very much concerned about ... the fate of the organist I met there in 2004, Paul Ellis. ...
                              The only organ related deaths I have heard about have been were from the Durham St. Methodist Church (Neil Stocker, Scott Lucy and Paul Dunlop)
                              More information here:http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...rch-pipe-organ

This is a real tragedy and yet another unexpected confirmation of the dangers of working with pipe organs (or being in any large stone or concrete structure).

Comment

Working...
                              X