X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organ Endowment Funds

Hello Everyone:

I'm not sure which category this falls under, so I am posting it in a couple places to see what response I get.

My church has received a significant financial gift designated to "Organ Repair & Maintenance" above and beyond the semi-annual tuning. We would like this gift to be the initial principal in some sort of investment fund to which people could contribute through special offerings, memorial gifts, and hopefully a line item in the annual budget. Although the organ isn't in need of major repair right now, we would like to have a "nest egg" started when it is time to re-leather, upgrade the switching system, or make tonal improvements.

Do any of your churches or institutions have such a fund? How is it set up and organized? We have some ideas, but we would like to know what is working for other churches and possibly model our plan after an existing one. I did check the AGO website and sent for some information, but is all geared more toward a fundraising campaign after a contract for a new organ is signed.

Thanks for any input you may have!

Ryan

See if you have an attorney among the membership who would be willing to set up an "organ trust" for your church at no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Menschenstimme View Post
      See if you have an attorney among the membership who would be willing to set up an "organ trust" for your church at no charge.
      Nice try, but attorneys tend to be total idiots who don't know squat about ACCOUNTING; and particularly about non-profit organization ACCOUNTING!

Depending upon how the donation was designated; anyone with significant funds to make such a designation, would possess the intelligence to confer it as a TRUST; and as a Trust, demands that funds be placed in a non-interest-bearing Trust Fund; which ensures timely dispersal of funds to the designated cause.
      2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

Good points, Clarion!

However, if the attorney specializes in estate planning (and I personally know a few who do so), then they should be aware of the concerns that you express. This is what I had in mind when I used the expression "organ trust."

Comment

Working...
        X