Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maas Cathedral Chimes -- tarnish?

Hello,
    We just got a 1979 Allen Digital Organ (MOS1). It came with set of Maas Cathedral Chimes.
    The chimes work fine, but they could use some aesthetic work. There are spots where the chimes have darkened and developed tarnish. Most of it looks fine, but it would be nice to clean these up. The spots are large enough that you can see them from a distance.
    How can we remove these spots and improve the look of the chimes?
    My instruments:
    Home: A late 50's to early 60's Conn 720 (tube powered, of course)
    One reed organ; in pieces at the moment pending a helping hand to do some gluing.
    Two pianos (upright grand and a spinet) and an accordion (Hohner)
    Church:
    Hammond A-105 with Leslie speakers
    1979 Allen 123-C (MOS1) digital computer organ

I suspect brass polish would be OK, but Maas Rowe is still in business and if you contact them, I'm sure they can advise you on the proper way to clean them. Alternatively, Organ Supply Industries sells Deagan chimes, and probably could advise you on how to clean them as well.

Toodles.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
      I suspect brass polish would be OK, but Maas Rowe is still in business and if you contact them, I'm sure they can advise you on the proper way to clean them. Alternatively, Organ Supply Industries sells Deagan chimes, and probably could advise you on how to clean them as well.
      I've been told not to use brass polish because of the specific/special lacquer finish on the chimes. I have an old Deagan set that have fingerprints from where someone handled them with their bare hands. The small amount of acid on the hands ate through the finish and left the fingerprints permanently. I suspect if I photographed them and sent them to AFIS, they could tell who did it (if they have a criminal record). I use my handbell gloves to handle them.

There are professional pipe organ guys on this Forum, but this is their busy season due to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Let me find a couple of them and ask them privately and see what they say. I'll post the answer back here if I get one.

Meanwhile, Toodles' advice (other than the brass polish) is good concerning who to contact.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

Do you know anything about tuning them by chance? They are a little off. I can't play them with the organ since they sound too far off, but if you play them before a song or for a small solo, they work out just fine.
        I emailed Maas-Rowe, I am hoping to hear back soon.
        Thanks, all!
        My instruments:
        One reed organ; in pieces at the moment pending a helping hand to do some gluing.
        Church:

Comment

I contacted Mass-Rowe, they told me that you (as in me) cannot remove the spots because of the lacquer on the chimes, and that doing so would put them out of tune (how that works exactly, I do not know..) I think where the spots are are places where the lacquer had worn off since there is tarnish on these spots and it does appear to be on the outside.
          Any final thoughts? By the way, I don't need to know about tuning the chimes since it turns out the organ was having tuning issues, not the chimes.
          My instruments:
          Church:

Comment

Comment

Hi David,
              The chimes have bolts on the back. I assume these are for tuning. So, they could not be flipped around. For informational purposes: they are suspended by string and a little holder device that keeps them facing one direction.
              My instruments:
              Church:

Comment

Originally posted by zylstra555 View Post
                Hi David,
                The chimes have bolts on the back. I assume these are for tuning. So, they could not be flipped around. For informational purposes: they are suspended by string and a little holder device that keeps them facing one direction.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	R_IMG_2390.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	582618

Click image for larger version

Name:	R_IMG_2397.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	582619
                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but I have the identical question. Does anyone have a method for making the chimes look better without having to send them to the manufacturer?

Comment

Look better. meaning, luster? What are the chimes made of? Read into 'Simichrome' Polish for use with 'metals'. I've used it myself and have found it to be a quality product.

Comment

Originally posted by zylstra555 View Post
                      I think where the spots are are places where the lacquer had worn off since there is tarnish on these spots and it does appear to be on the outside.
                      This describes my set of chimes as well.

Comment

I also use Simichrome polish.

Comment

Working...
                        X