X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridlington Priory

Hello All,

A friend of mine just returned from a trip across the pond and visited the Bridlington Priory while he was there. He said the building and organ were both amazing and brought me a brochure and CD which I am eager to retrieve. He mentioned the organ is fairly well known. I have never heard of it. Has anyone here ever played it, is it noteworthy in any way? Thanks

Bill

The best reference for things organic in the UK is the National Pipe Organ Register (NPOR).

Link to Bridlington Priory: http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsear...c_index=E01122

Hint for searching NPOR: if searching for a St. Mary's, for example, enter "Mary" only. my experience has been that searches will fail if you include "Saint" or any variant thereof.

Comment

Wow very helpful thanks. Great site. I looked up the organ on google too. Apparently the 32 contra tuba there is quite famous and according to a press release and several articles it is the largest scale reed in the uk. Not exactly sure what that means, but now even more excited to get brochure and cd. Anyone here ever play it? I am surprised I have never heard mention of it.
      Last edited by Bill Hecot; 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Bridlington Priory

Very interesting. English, German and French elements. A Tubasson? That's a new one on me. Notice the picture of the polyphone. That's a John Compton trick.

Comment

Got some more info. First off, the cd was quite good. Very good recording and obviously a very powerful "ecclesiastical" organ. The pedal reed is quite potent and the brochure confirms it to be the largest scaled reed in the uk (again not quite sure what that is indicative of). All in all seems like a noteworthy instrument. Not sure if in the same likes as a Yorkminster or Ely but a large instrument for sure.

Comment

>the brochure confirms it to be the largest scaled reed in the uk (again not quite sure what that is indicative of)< I'd assume that means the resonators have the widest measurement at the top. Of course, quite a bit of any reed stop's sound is determined by the design of the stuff in the boot - the shallot and tongue. :->

Comment

Working...
            X