• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ernest M. Skinner

thanks Steve!

Comment

From what I have heard, the organ that we all know and love at WNC might have its days numbered. I looke on their website, and essentially they want a new organ. I am not sure I know exactly what they are going to do. Would someone please fill me in on this?

Comment

Greetings,

The name of Mr. Skinner's firm after he left was called Ernest M. Skinner & Son, and was based out of Methuen, MA. Mr. Skinner owned the Methuen (Former Boston Music Hall) organ for a while as well.

Best,

- N

Comment

You are quite right about those strings! WOOF! I was a chorister at National Cathedral during my years at St. Alban's School in DC. Unfortunately, it was recently announced that rebuilding the current organ at National Cathedral would be too pricey, so now they are looking to get a new instrument and keep "some ranks and incorporate them into a new instrument". The Cathedral has enlisted the companies of C.B. Fisk and Dobson to prepare a design for a new "Mechanical Action organ to be placed in the West End Gallery underneath the Rose Window. This instrument will be playable from it's own mechanical console located in the Gallery or via electric pulldowns from a console in the chancel." We shall see what happens.

Comment

one would think in the year 2005 they would realize they have something worth keeping, to restore, instead letting the cathedral fall victom to the fashions of the last generation.

Comment

The Letourneau at St. Andrew United Methodist is a 4 manual, 77 stop organ. Good for accompaniment, but it is VERY muted, I dont care much for it. We also have our 29 rank mutt (well, thats what it is), a 68 rank 3 manual Casavant built in 94 at a Baptist church here. An 86 rank Fisk at the concert hall in dallas. A wonderful Casavant, in nasty accoustics (organ put in in 2003) at First Methodist Dallas. The largest Casavant ever built in Ft. Worth (191 ranks I believe). I think the Fisk and Casavant would be our major claims to fame. Oh, and there is a NIchols and SImpson here, 31 ranker, only one in Texas, and I love it.

Comment

>>>one would think in the year 2005 they would realize they have something worth keeping, to restore, instead letting the cathedral fall victom to the fashions of the last generation.

It doesn't help also that less and less are taking to the organ. Everyone and their brother is a Pianist, and to them, an organ is just "that old thing in the loft; Hey, lets buy a new Steinway in place of it"

Luckily, we have people like us who are willing to take in these tired machines and breathe new life into them.
                ~1936 Hammond AV - Leslie 122 & PR40~ ~1954 Wurlitzer ElectroStatic 4602 - Leslie 125~

Comment

That Letourneau Organ you have there is quite a nice instrument in my opinion. I did a concert not too long ago and found it to be very pleasing. Fernand Letourneau builds some exceptional organs and is one of my favourites. The Casavant at Broadway Baptist is not only the largest Casavant in Texas, but ever built and quite something as well. During an organ crawl I happened to encounter whilst visiting my parents (who now reside in the Highland Park area of Texas-Beverly Drive LOLOL), I got to play this behemoth. What a kick it was to do the "Fanfare" by Alec Wyton with all those Chamades going. It surely is an organ to wake the dead.

Comment

Your parents live on Beverly drive? THink they would donate a new organ to us???
                    The thing with the Letouneau, is that it takes just the right registration to keep it from sounding "anemic." It sounds nice when you hear it, but, you never realize it till you play it. When playing it, you feel VERY disconnected from it and at times, requires heavy registration, when it shouldnt. Granted it is a large room, but, it feels like if you want volume, you have to register very heavily, which can result in it getting muddy. I think the Fisk is probably one of my favorite organs on Earth. Strange, because the 60 something rank Fisk at Caruth Auditorium at SMU, sounds like it is screaming in your face, it feels like you are way too close to it. I do think the Meyerson is close to perfect though, just my...$2 worth.

Comment

Working...
                    X