X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organ Guts

Dear Listers,

If anyone is interested in the inner workings of the pipe organ, please check out my web page dedicated to the Atlantic City 7-manual combination action, which can be found at the following URL:

www.geocities.com/bigaquarium/combo.html

I'm going to make a few updates later today, but it is becoming fairly complete.

Enjoy!

- Nate

Re: Organ Guts

Very nice explanations.

When were you down under Woolsey Hall's stage? Did you work there, or was this just an organ visit? I've been there myself several times and am always amazed at that instrument.

Bob M.

Comment

Hi there,

I work there. It is an amazing instrument, isn't it?

- Nate

Comment

I've always been interested in guts of organs.
        I heard the organ at Woolsey Hall maybe 35 years ago.
        I was there for a rehearsal and also for a concert.
        I thought that the organ was absolutely magnificent,
        but I admit I liked the reverb better with the hall empty.

I was also in the Atlantic City Convention Hall many
        years ago, but I never heard the organ. Oddly the very
        first LP record I ever bought was Bach on the Biggest.

Steve.

Comment

Dear Listers,

I have inherited an incomplete set of blueprints for the ACCH Midmer-Losh. I have placed a list of these, and will continue to post pictures at the following URL:

www.pipesupport.net/blueprints.html

Let me know if something strikes your interest and I will try to scan it and post it.

Best,

Nathan

Comment

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

To perhaps answer one question, that is about the Choir 16' Tromba unification,
            please note that it not only plays at both 16' and 4' on the Choir,
            but it is also borrowed to the Pedal at 16' and 8'.
            That would normally indicate a true unification of this rank.

Steve.

Comment

Greetings,

Your explanation sounds quite plausible, in that the chestwork for the organ is of the lever-arm type - both pitman and unit. Since both types of action feature the lever-arm pouches mounted on the chest dividers, channeled up from the bottom boards and further on up to the toe boards, it is conceivable that in the case of our blueprint, the key action channels talk to the first two ranks, with a row of magnets under the third.

It's interesting, if Richards and Skinner were truly mortal enemies, Richards certainly took great advantage of the "augmented pedal" ideal that Mr. Skinner defended!

- Nate

Comment

Greetings,

The latest offering is a mill list for the 16' Diaphone Profunda - which will give the reader a good idea as to the scale and thickness of the resonators.

Best,

- Nate

Comment

Let's help the A.C. Organs

Greetings,

Although our hands may be prevented from helping out at Atlantic City as we wait for new developments, we can certainly use our collective brains to help the organs out. Here are some ideas I have that might be useful to the cause:

1 - Does anyone have any knowledge of a certain company or industry that makes something suitable for use as a pipe-tray as a bi-product of normal operations? Perhaps old shipping containers sawed in half, or some other adaptation? It would be nice to peg down a source of cheap (or free) pipe trays for use in the restoration effort.

2 - It would also be nice to assemble a list of NJ companies that either provide products useful to organ restoration, or give charitably to the arts or education. One company I came up with for products was Zinsser, which is headquartered in Somerset. Zinsser manufactures wall primer/sealer and shellac - two things the A.C. instrument could use gallons upon gallons of. I dare you to find a manufacturer of PVC wire in NJ! (C: (C: (C:

3 - Another list to assemble would be organizations that represent people in the NJ area who could benefit from access to the organ, such as the New Jersey Music Educators Association. The organ might prove to be a wonderful place for all sorts of schoolchildren, seniors, people in need of therapy, historic societies, mechanical gurus, etc...

I think legwork such as this would go a long way to provide options and inspiration to those who are in charge of the organs. Any other ideas?

Best,

Nathan

Comment

Re: Let's help the A.C. Organs

Greetings,

I know that there are a lot of computer-saavy folks on this board, so let me get right down to it:

I am interested in learning about options to make a QuickTime VR panorama of the seven-manual console at ACCH. I understand that these can be created in different ways, with special cameras, or even "stitching" images together from regular digital cameras, to then form them into a cylinder, sphere, or cube to make a scrollable zoomable panorama.

If any of you know anything about this and love the ACCH organs, your help would be very much appreciated!

Best,

Nathan

Comment

Re: Let's help the A.C. Organs

WOW!!!!

- Nate

Comment

Working...
                      X