This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dented Metal Pipes

Is there a way to remove dents from metal pipies?

Larry

Here are some tips:

http://www.mmdigest.com/Archives/Dig....08.26.05.html
    -------

Hammond M-102 #21000.
    Leslie 147 #F7453.
    Hammond S-6 #72421

Comment

un-denting metal organ pipes

Most organ pipes are made of either a mix of lead/tin (with other trace metals for stiffness) or zinc. Re-rounding the pipes is not difficult, but you must be careful in handling the pipes that you do not disturb the mouth area in the process.

You need round mandrels (mandrels can be >hard< wood dowels like oak or maple or they can be steel tubing for larger diameters) that are slightly smaller than the diameter of the pipe to be rounded, and a beater-board made of a hard wood (mine are hard maple) that is sanded rounded on the ends so you don't leave marks in the pipes from the beater-board. Working the dents out of pipes is slow, methodical work, working in from the edges of the dent from either side, a little at a time. tapered pipes require more care in re-rounding, and most professional pipe makers will take the pipe apart to put the pipe on tapered mandrels to re-round then put the pipe back together and re-voice as needed.

Rick in VA

Comment

A dent in the foot would require taking the pipe apart to fix, wouldn't it? That would not be something just anyone could do. (Just mentioning it)

David

Comment

I think this is in the territory "don't do this if you have to ask how to do it". And leave it alone unless it is a real problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
            I think this is in the territory "don't do this if you have to ask how to do it". And leave it alone unless it is a real problem.
            A quick anecdote:
            Service man tuning an old tracker. Case pipes need to be removed to access Great division. He finished tuning and put the pipes back in. He faild to hook one properly. It falls out and clonks him on the head while he's sitting at the console playing it. His head is OK but there is a big dent in the pipe. He tries to figure out how to knock the dent out. He looks around the church and finds a broom and a quart paint can that is almost the exact diameter of the inside of the pipe. He pushes the paint can down the pipe with the broom stick and it does indeed push the dent out nicely. But it's stuck. He didn't think about that part. Try as he might he couldn't get the paint can out. He ended up sending it to Organ Supply in Erie Pa. I don't know how much they charged but I know it wasn't cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Terpodion View Post
              A quick anecdote:
              Service man tuning an old tracker. Case pipes need to be removed to access Great division. He finished tuning and put the pipes back in. He faild to hook one properly. It falls out and clonks him on the head while he's sitting at the console playing it. His head is OK but there is a big dent in the pipe. He tries to figure out how to knock the dent out. He looks around the church and finds a broom and a quart paint can that is almost the exact diameter of the inside of the pipe. He pushes the paint can down the pipe with the broom stick and it does indeed push the dent out nicely. But it's stuck. He didn't think about that part. Try as he might he couldn't get the paint can out. He ended up sending it to Organ Supply in Erie Pa. I don't know how much they charged but I know it wasn't cheap.
              I'd have tried a very strong magnet on a rope--the paint can was probably steel (which is magnetic) and the pipe was lead/tin (which is not magnetic); that might have been good enough to remove the can.

David

Comment

What would have happened if just the lid came off and filled the pipe with red paint, what a mess................

Cheers from Dallas,Tx

Jerry F Bacon ♫♫
                Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx

Comment

He should have taken the pipe away and done it properly in the workshop. Oh well, he's learned the hard way.
                  Martin Hartley
                  Choral Scholar at St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta, Australia
                  Student at Campion College, Australia
                  Assistant Organist at St Margaret Mary's Catholic Church, Merrylands, Australia

The Novice Organist: http://noviceorganist.blogspot.com.au

Comment

in case the magnet wouldn't work, need a good flat surface for magnet to contact for max pull, i'd uv tried the vacuum cleaner trick, maybe some talc powder or silicone to help seal the leaky edges of the can, if that was ok to do. also, warming the tube on the outside would probably enlarge it enough to get the vacuum cleaner to pull it out. the idea really sucks, huh?
                    st

Comment

Working...
                    X