Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New organist here but am looking for a cheap option for Hammond electric organ

well I am 14 years old as you can see, am a guitar player and a beginner organist and keyboardist and thinking about purchasing a small Hammond electric organ to go in my small room, My local church has one but I doubt they are going to get rid of it
    Current Organs/Keyboards:1967 Hammond H-111, 1971 Hammond L-112, 1972 Hammond T-524

Leslie cabinets: 1975 Leslie 825 & 1974-76 Leslie Model 705
    Past Organs/Keyboards: 1961 Hammond L-101, 1974 Kawai E-300, 1968 Yamaha B-55N, 1979 Yamaha Electone B-55N, 1984 Yamaha Electone ME-50 and a lot more!

Hi New Organist,

I am a high school student and love music like you do. It is nice to hear of someone who is my age and wants to learn the organ. I am giving a suggestion someone very recently told me. You should call up local churches and see if the have an electric organ in a basement or storage room. Also, contact the local AGO (american guild of organists) chapter in your area. They could give you some options as well. Lastly, check craigslist -especially the "free stuff" section. Sometimes an acceptable organ will show up.

Hope this helps a little and best of luck to you,
    P.T.
    Allen MDC Classic 42
    Neronde Flo Tone Electric Accordion

Comment

Thank you. well my local church has a Hammond that they rarely use i want it but it seems to be like the church still wants it or something, they have a pipe organ but I want to play the Pipe Organ but electronic organ seems to be the home option
      Current Organs/Keyboards:1967 Hammond H-111, 1971 Hammond L-112, 1972 Hammond T-524

Past Organs/Keyboards: 1961 Hammond L-101, 1974 Kawai E-300, 1968 Yamaha B-55N, 1979 Yamaha Electone B-55N, 1984 Yamaha Electone ME-50 and a lot more!

Comment

14 Year Old Organist,

What sort of music do you intend to play/learn on this organ? Liturgical (aka church), jazz, classical, theatre, oldies? That will help us in recommending an appropriate instrument for you.

Congratulations on getting started early. My piano teacher would not advise me to take organ lessons, so my first lesson was in college as a Freshman Organ Performance major. I got the degree! I worked on the potato harvester to buy my first organ for $400, a Lowrey Heritage Deluxe (DSO-1) with 2 offset 44-note manuals, and 13 pedals. Now, I probably wouldn't purchase such an instrument because it wouldn't fit my needs, but it helped me get the "bug" and pursue it until college.

Best wishes on your endeavor, and I hope your stay here will be profitable.

Michael

P.S. Do you know the theory behind power chords and dropped-D tuning? If you don't, I can tell you next e-mail.
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

One more thing i thought of . I you just talk to your music minister at you church, he could give you some leads, They are usually very hospitable about their proffession and would be wiling to help. Also, ask him if you can play on the pipe organ from time to time. Ny situation is similar to yours. I don;t have an organ now becasue mine broke down. Now I use the organ at my church from time to time. It can never hurt to ask if you can try the organ out...
          Allen MDC Classic 42
          Neronde Flo Tone Electric Accordion

Comment

I'm in Australia but I will try and walk to the Church and ask if I can play the organ from time to time, They let me play the Hammond but I want to get into rock n roll pipe organ, like Jon Lord did with his Hammond, Made it sound distorted without the Leslie xD I have a Roland E 300 keyboard which has sounds similar to a pipe organ and some electronic organs and a theater organ, And I know the Newcastle Museum has a pipe organ which they restored, Just imagine playing smoke on the water on a regular pipe organ!, My name is Nathan by the way

Comment

So your last post makes all sorts of flags go up for me. What is your skill level? Are you taking piano or organ lessons? Many churches are willing to let you use an instrument if you can demonstrate that you know what you are doing and/or are taking lessons with the church's organist. However, they will be properly protective about letting someone come in to just mess around on a very expensive piece of hardware. "Rock n roll pipe organ" is going to be taken as messing around, whether in a church or a museum.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to brag here a little bit.

The university I go to has a church that is open 24/7. I asked them about the pipe organ and they said that they where more then happy to have me play it (keeps dust outta the pipes) as long I'm not disturbing anyone using the church at the time... and there is rarely ever anyone in the church. It's actually sad to see that a lot pipe organs actually go un played. There is a second organ on campus that belongs to the school of music. Which as far as I know is never played. I asked them if I could play it once and they were pretty quick to say, "no." I feel sorry for the poor thing just sitting there pipes filling with dust. The thing could use a few power chords.
                Hammond L111
                Yamaha YC-45D
                Organette
                Casavant Frères (obviously not mine but I do play it a lot)

Comment

Well I was lucky enough to hear the original organ at my church, They have a electric Hammond that they rarely ever use, the pipe organ's Console is upstairs and the stairs are a bit too steep but I got to see the console at least

Comment

Originally posted by 14YearOldOrganist View Post
                    I want to get into rock n roll pipe organ, like Jon Lord did with his Hammond, [snip] Just imagine playing smoke on the water on a regular pipe organ!
                    Nathan,

Actually, I've tried it, but it really is hard to get a pipe organ to distort like the guitar does on that piece. Actually, I think it's impossible to get organ pipes to distort from the console. I've also played boogie woogie on a pipe organ at college--the stage crew was really enjoying it.

I'm still not sure how to advise you, and certainly don't want to discourage you in your endeavor. It sounds like you'd probably benefit from seeing some of Cameron Carpenter's videos on YouTube. That may give you more ideas, but I think much of his literature is standard Classical and arrangements of music, rather than rock organ. It's worth a try!

However, as crapwonk advised, do be respectful of churchs' wishes should they take offense to your playing. Ultimately, they are the ones with the instrument available for playing, and you'll need to live according to their terms. Best of luck in your endeavor, and keep us posted on how it turns out.

Michael
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

You should also bear in mind that pipe organs at least in my experience with them (I'm sure there are exceptions) don't react as fast as Hammond organs. It's a little trickier to make steady rythms and/or fast playing not sound muddled. Especially when incorporating stops with larger pipes which will give the... I suppose more distorted sound. Chords on the pedal board sound pretty heavy and kind of distorted mainly because they make anything that's not strapped down shake.
                      Hammond L111
                      Yamaha YC-45D
                      Organette

Comment

If you're wanting to go along the Jon Lord/rock & pop Hammond route, ask yourself this question. Do I also want to play classical or theatre style pipe organ. If the answer's no, then I'd advise that you forget pipes entirely (or just explore them to find out what they do, wherupon you might change your mind) and concentrate on what you are interested in.

Don't let the classical lot tell you that you have to play classical first - I know plenty of my friends and colleagues who didn't, and several of my students who started on home organ and home keyboard have made very good careers playing and teaching!

beautrager's quite right, a pipe organ won't have that same instant repsonse that an electronic organ will. It takes some considerable practice to get used to the delay (which will be different for every pipe organ you ever play) between pressing the keys and hearing the sound. You need to count very clearly in your head to ensure that you keep up the tempo, especially on faster or trickier pieces.

Distortion on a pipe organ - no, it doesn't happen. Every note is produced cleanly (at least it's supposed to be cleanly!) by a separate pipe, so there's no intermodulation distortion, and the overdriven distortion you're looking for in the Hammond sound comes from the amps in the organ and leslie - or, these days, from a digital effects unit, either separate or built into the instrument.

Rock and pop on pipes. Yes, sure it can be done, on classical and theatre organ. Does it work well? I'm not so sure about gritty rock but pop can certainly work on theatre organ and to a lesser extent on classical organ. Have I done it? Yes, on theatre organ and also on classical, though usually when no-one's been around as, as someone already said, it's very likely to be regarded as messing around on classical organs. However, I've encouraged some students to convert pop pieces into quite effective preludes and postludes for services. The kids at the colleges have laughed and smiled when they've recognised the pieces but most of the teachers have been blissfully unaware of what's actually being played. Mind you, I did insist that they didn't just mess around with this, but did some real work and play the piece in a true classical style, with sincerity! More work than some of them thought, I can tell you.

What instrument do you need, then? Over here in the UK or in the US you could pick up a suitable tonewheel Hammond spinet for not much money at all to get you started. Prices in Oz seem to be a bit higher but the big problem is finding one near to you. A free Hammond in Perth is no use to you if you're in Melbourne. Look for something that's not regarded as a 'classic' (yet) like an L or a T. A T200 would have a leslie as well. You could take the signal from a T's headphones socket, pad it down (we'll tell you how to do this) and run it through a distortion pedal and into a suitable amp, or you could, with a bit of advice and help, insert that distortion effect into the organ itself. Before anyone tells you that you're only 14, I was your age when I was starting to do this. You need good advice, you need to listen to it very carefully and act on it, and you need to be careful what you do - as well as having some adult supervision! There are lots of safety rules that you learn before you delve inside an organ - we'll tell you what they are.

If you can't get a Hammond, consider one of the older clone drawbar keyboards, from the likes of Korg and Viscount, as well as Hammond. Not 100% accurate, but good enough to start with.
                        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                          You could take the signal from a T's headphones socket, pad it down (we'll tell you how to do this).
                          hey Andy,

Speaking of padding down signals. Do you or anyone else have a picture or a sketch of what a pad box (maybe it has better name then that) looks like? I had one explained to me in another thread but, I'm a very visual person and need to see what one put together actually looks like.
                          Hammond L111
                          Yamaha YC-45D
                          Organette

Comment

Well i am in the reigns of Sydney but I live in a town called East Maitland, and I will take some video of me playing the electric Hammond that they never play, and then i'll see if i can move up to the original pipe organ, See that pipe organ survived the Maitland 1955 flood!

Comment

Originally posted by 14YearOldOrganist View Post
                              Well i am in the reigns of Sydney but I live in a town called East Maitland, and I will take some video of me playing the electric Hammond that they never play, and then i'll see if i can move up to the original pipe organ, See that pipe organ survived the Maitland 1955 flood!
                              We look forward to seeing the video. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X