Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello,why the colour of black keys and white keys are different (opposite?)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello,why the colour of black keys and white keys are different (opposite?)?

hello,

I would like to know: why the colour of black keys and white keys of organs/harpsichords in the Baroque period are different(opposite?) from those in modern pianos(organs) ?

Thank you

WYZB-)

My guess is due to economics and availability of materials. Thus, one probably finds regional variations.

Comment

The custom of black naturals actually originated in France; the goal was to show the keyboardist's hands better. On the other hand, this was somewhat before the proliferation of non-naturals (early keyboards had no accidentals, and f-sharp was the only accidental for a while). Once accidentals became common, reverse-color keyboards were the norm, until ivory became a common material for keys, and wood was phased out (except for ebony, used now for accidentals).
      I rather love reverse-color keyboards, but I used to play on a romantic-type French Canadian organ with them, and it was just odd and very anachronistic for the style--perhaps the builder was trying to appease the more neo-baroque even while providing "decadent" padding in the stoplist. The organ was a big success, but that still bugs me a bit.
      As of 7/16/2013, no longer active on forum.
      Practice hard, practice well.

Comment

If one were building a console, one would be able to choose any combination of woods/other coverings for naturals and sharps. Everyone is now accustomed to the stark B/W contrast, but when woods are used (unstained, as even ebony is more of a dull dark brown in its natural state) the contrast level is very compressed, and it would be very difficult to tell in a photograph, for instance, whet the compass and starting/stopping notes were. Wood-covered keys seem an exotic luxury item to me. I'll settle for real ivory and real ebony.
        Casey

Comment

Wood-covered keys seem an exotic luxury item to me. I'll settle for real ivory and real ebony.
          I guess real ivory is a rather illegal luxury these days reserved for dictators in certain countries and people of the family (the one you don't talk about). You might get by with bone.

Comment

Mastadon ivory is legal and irregularly available. The cost premium is considerable. Fortunately some of the better synthetic materials are quite good these days.

Comment

Working...
            X