Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just discovered this little gem....... what is it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just discovered this little gem....... what is it?

The oldest pipe organ in Kansas is located in a little church about 15 miles from me. I haven't been inside to see it yet but you can bet I will. It appears to be well maintained. Anyone know what it is? Photos at the link:

http://www.ssresort.com/Church.html
    "The employment of the piano is forbidden in church, as is also that of noisy frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like." St. Pius X

If the organ were further East, I'd venture a guess at Hook & Hastings or E.G.G. Hook. However, given the age and distance, there are other builders. Have you checked the Pipe Organ Database?

The Database suggests it is either a Barckhoff (ca. 1907) http://database.organsociety.org/Sin...hp?OrganID=733
    or an Estey (1935) http://database.organsociety.org/Sin...hp?OrganID=734. I would find it unlikely to be an Estey, considering the age of the church and the apparent age of the organ.

Perhaps when you visit the organ, you can do some research and help update the Pipe Organ Database? Thanks for telling us about it.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

That is the Barckhoff instrument you see in the photos. One giveaway is the set of six thumb pistons, which operate the coupler mechanisms. Swell to Great, Swell to Pedal, Great to Pedal. One button for on, the other for off. I'm sure there were other builders who did that, but it was pretty much standard on a Barckhoff.

Oldest instrument in Kansas? I have my doubts. 1907 seems awfully new for that. Oldest surviving? Maybe. Oldest Barckhoff? Probably.

It will be interesting to see what you find out when you go to investigate.

Shawn

Comment

A little research on Sycamore Springs provided the following reference from zoominfo:

"There was too much history here to let it go down the tubes," said Betty Aue.She and her husband, Dale, acquired the 60-acre property and reopened it to the public in 2002.
        Betty Aue, owner of Sycamore Springs at Sabetha, stands next to one of the resort's original calling cards.
        We bought it from bankruptcy court," Betty Aue said.
        "The roller rink attracts people from a 50-mile area," Aue said.
        "It's a peaceful, quiet getaway," Aue said."It's restful.So many come for that reason and to do activities with their families."
        The church on the grounds was built in 1888 and has a large pipe organ.
        "The pipe organ is older than the church and is probably one of the oldest in Kansas," Aue said.
        Rick B.

Allen R-311D
        Baldwin Cinema II (214DR)
        Gulbransen Pacemaker
        Yamaha Clavinova CVP-209
        Nord C2 w/ PK27 pedals and Behringer K3000FX amp

Comment

Originally posted by psrick View Post
          A little research on Sycamore Springs provided the following reference from zoominfo:
          [snip]
          The church on the grounds was built in 1888 and has a large pipe organ.
          "The pipe organ is older than the church and is probably one of the oldest in Kansas," Aue said.
          Wouldn't be the first time a person had incorrect information and were quoted or mis-quoted in the media. I have personal experience in that area.

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

Comment

I went back down to Sycamore Springs and got a look at the organ. It is the Barckhoff and it's in a non temperature controlled environment but is regularly used by various area churches during the Summer season for worship services. According to the owner, it was moved to this location many years ago from the Presbyterian Church in Hiawatha, Kansas (OHS site reports it came from the Baptists in Hiawatha). The church building, including organ, are also available and used for weddings. A couple of the taller pipes had to be cut and "L" shaped to fit under the ceiling but it appears to be in pretty much original condition. I played the organ briefly in the very cold room and it sounded fairly good. There were no obvious air leaks, tuning is questionable and the keys are not at all level. Still, nice condition for its age. We took some cell phone photos but the pictures on the resort website are accurate and much better. Unfortunately I didn't think to write down a stop list. Might get a chance to do that later.
            "The employment of the piano is forbidden in church, as is also that of noisy frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like." St. Pius X

Comment

Yeah, my guess would have been Hook & Hastings as well, but I'm glad you returned to the site to check it out. Now we all know what this gem actually is! I've never heard of Barckhoff before, but it looks like a charming instrument to play.
              Fishers, IN

At School Church: Wicks III/40
              At Church Where I Am Director: Hammond BV with Leslie 122
              Summer Practice Organ: Rodgers III/47

Comment

Working...
              X