This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Great Ocean Grove Auditorium Organ

I live in Howell, NJ, not too far away, but haven't gotten to hear this organ yet. Both myself and my band director have mixed feelings about this organ.

In my personal opinion, it's a serious intrument, but in a terrible room. I have about 4 Ocean Grove CD's at this point, and the recordings sound absolutely dead. After holding out a chord, the sound dies within seconds. Compare this to any decent French cathedral and it renders the sound lifeless. The pedal division is amazing to say the least, but the rest of the organ sounds rather bland at times I'm guessing due simply to the room the organ is in.

Re: The Great Ocean Grove Auditorium Organ

Greetings,

LOL, sometimes we refer to this as "negative reverberation", where it actually takes 2 seconds to hear a sound. (C:

- Nate

Comment

I know that this is a long dead thread, but I just wanted to say hello to MD1032, being a former Monmouth/Ocean county dweller I've been familiar with the Ocean Grove Organ since the early 60's, I guess that makes me a veritable geezer[:S]

You are correct about the acoustics, when you are in the auditorium you hear mostly direct radiated sound coming straight at you, like a freight train.

The organ can be quite spectacular. My last opportunity to hear it was at the end of the PP&M (Peter, Paul & Mary, if you're to young to have heard them) concert in the summer of 03', Gordon Turk was called up on stage to accompany them in the closing number "Blowing in the Wind", with 6 thousand or so voices joining the fray, it was a blast[:D]

I hope by this time you've had the opportunity to hear it!

Pete

Comment

Hello, Pete. You are only a Geezer if you remember Big Sea Day! Ocean Counties big end of summer blowout. I believe it was in '59 that Vice President Richard Nixon made an appearance there (arrived late of course) and Bell Telephone introduced the first Phone-a-Vision demonstration.

I was too young when I left the area to have visited Ocean Grove though I'd heard about it. But the carousels on the shore had wonderful band organs that made me love the sound of pipes forever. I wish I could have heard that "Blowing in the Wind" with organ. I love Peter, Paul & Mary!

Comment

The sound of a band organ, salt air and salt water taffy. Perfect together[:P]

The sound of a large carousel organ was certainly a factor in my early attraction to the organ, that along with the organ in our church. The carousel organ is the embodiment of "A toot and a whistle and a plunk and a boom"

Regards,

Pete

Comment

Working...
          X