X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 California 3 manual Housorgel

From the December 1963 Diapason Magazine

Re: 1963 California 3 manual Housorgel

Amazing what $4000 could buy in 1963. Today you could not get a 1/2 rank of anything for that amount, not new anyways.
    Mike

Comment

I was just thinking the same thing. The wonders of inflation!

I have no doubt that being 26, I will live to see the day when being a millionaire (not multi-millionaire) isn't really that big a deal.

Comment

And dont you know, that thing sounded awful in that carpeted room (at least it looks carpeted). I wonder where that organ is now.

Comment

Hey, Loopy,

It probably sounded as good a any non-reverberated organ (pipe or electronic) in a church with carpet and padded seats.

Even if the room were uncarpeted, it might have an echo instead of a pleasing reverb sound.

Comment

Ah! Like i have stated in one of my post N.Y.C. farmboy, i could have had a 2 -manual 4rk.
            built with an expression chamber, crecendo, combination action, for $4,ooo in the early 70's.
            Sad but true, NO! more like Sickning! A real nice little true pipe organ for that kind of money!

Dipason

Comment

You still can get one for that price...

...used of course

Comment

But let's remember that in 1963, a teacher might work for a year for that 4K, a small 3 bdrm house went for 10k, some small cars were still under 1K. In 32 AGO pedal organs, they could choose analog Rogers organs of a couple of models, an Allen TC3, a Hammond RT3, a Baldwin model 6, a Conn Classic, and possibly a wurlitzer 4800 was still in some warehouse. No Lowery or Thomas qualified. They were all less pipelike than later digitals, but you could have a wide range of expression, easy instalation, and minimal maintainance. Also reverb to help fill a dull room.

And If hubby hadn't been organ-handy, Holtcamp, Schlicker etc. would have wanted 10-12K for the jub.

Fun to think about!!

Lee

Comment

Working...
                X