This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The end is nigh?

yes I read them, a bunch of bureaucratic gobblygook regulation to preserve and expand bureaucracy over a non-problem.

my opinion only.

:)

Re: The end is nigh?

Comment

I posted those for continued discussion on the thread topic.

:)

Comment

Lets keep in mind that things have a way of working themselves out. Nobody san say in the next 5 years that this will even be a problem anymore. The people with the playing cards just bet a bad hand, but the game isn't over.

Comment

Comment

The thing we should do is to lobby the DTI for an exemption on organ pipes. Let's face it, in some organs in Europe there pipes which can be traced back over 500 years. If they want to pull out these pipes and replace them with inferior quality ones then they should think about re-routing the A303 through Stonehenge at Amesbury. We are good at this and it has developed without help from the US (no offence meant guys) and we should be proud of it. If the problem is with lead in landfill then we have a fantastic record on recycling, reusing and reducing, one of Tony Blairs favourite mantra's. The impact of lead in landfill from organ pipes is tiny so we have a good cause. Let's try and be proactive and less reactive and maybe they will see sense. Anyone got the technical no-how to set up an on-line petition so we can all voice our opinion?
            Liz :-)

Comment

Comment

acc:

Damage has already been done as the popular press had already giving this story great publicity (read above posts)....EVEN if in the end pipe organs were or are to be exempted.

The damage is that the seed had already been planted in SOME people's minds that pipe organs are somehow dangerous. (which they are if you EAT them but not if you play them or repair them or listen to them).

I recognize that others may view these regulations with glee....

in particular: trial lawyers, bureaucrats, & electronic organ builders.

One can just wonder when unscrupulous toaster salespeople will use these regulations to scare churches into dumping pipe organs to replace them with planned "lead-free" electronic substitutes.
                (from a previous post of mine)

and thanks for posting the petition!

"New EU Directive set to wipe out the 'King of Musical Instruments'"
                (http://www.pipes4organs.org/ I hope everyone here takes a look at that!

thanks!!
                John

As always, my posts are my opinions only, all viewpoints are welcome and encouraged!

Comment

Comment

acc, as noted in the petition website link you provided:

The Problem
                    • An error in the drafting of the Directives will ban the making of traditional pipe organs for cathedrals, concert halls, colleges and churches from 1st July 2006.

link

Comment

Comment

acc, if that comment was addressed to me I understand you don't feel the directives apply to pipe organs.

Comment

another article (on one of the same organs as noted above) published today:

http://www.burystedmundstoday.co.uk/...icleID=1397872

Organ plans under threat
                          New European regulations could sound the death knell for plans to rebuild the organ in St Edmundsbury Cathedral.
                          Fund-raisers and organisations have warned of 'disastrous' consequences for the cathedral and the region's organ manufacturers if there is no re-think.

European Union directives designed to reduce damage to the environment through disposal of electrical goods containing hazardous materials – including lead – will come into force from July 1.

The organ is classed as an electrical device because it uses motors to pump air into the pipes.

Cathedral organist James Thomas said: "I do not even want to think about the consequences if the directive is not altered to make an allowance in cases like this.

"It would be a disaster – and we are simply outraged that such a worthy piece of legislation designed to protect the environment can be applied in such a dumb way."

A fund-raising group has been campaigning for several years to raise the £700,000 needed to rebuild the 3,500-pipe instrument.

With the law as it will stand after July 1, starting the work will be illegal.

However, a spokesman for the Thurston-based Institute of British Organ Building, Doug Levey, said church organs were not 'disposable' and when they reached the end of their lives the lead was re-used.

He warned of dire consequences and job losses for manufacturers.

"New organ building is quite an active industry across East Anglia," he said. "This could be a disaster.

"If this law was vigorously enforced, organ building would dwindle to nothing."

The institute has set up a website and is collecting signatures for a petition. Go to www.pipes4organs.org

27 March 2006

Comment

Comment

I enter this debate with some trepidation ...

From reading the postings here I would conclude three things:

1.) The legislation has the goal of simply removing lead from things that are going into a landfill. Things like our phones and computers and whatever.

2.) Our friends on the other side of the pond (or whatever the saying is) have decided (incorrectly) that organ pipes should be included in that.

3.) The media is having a field day with this and making money in the process.

OK ... 4) We seem to be getting after each other pretty good here. Did I miss something? Just sign the petition, get organs exempted and get on with whatever you were doing in the first place.

- Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X