This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between pipes

How do the pipes differ from stop to stop?

That's either a very long or very short answer. I suggest you read a good book about it. Audsley might not be "the" best but it sure is very comprehensive, easy to find and in english. Very short: it all depends on the relation between length, diameter (depth/width for wooden pipes), width of the mouth, height of the cut, form of the pipe (cilindrical, opening/closing towards the top), stopped or not etc.

Comment

Stephens Irwin's book "Dictionary of Organ Stops" also gives much information on this subject.
      Mike

My home organ is a Theatre III with an MDS II MIDI Expander.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnallen View Post
        How do the pipes differ from stop to stop?
        Read through the Dictionary of Organ Stops. There is quite a bit of information there. One could also search the Internet too.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

There are several basic types of pipes
          1. Open pipes typically diapasons which are the dominant church organ pipes
          2. Open flutes such as a melodic which have a softer more mellow sound
          3. Stopped flutes such as a gedeckt which are half length and have a somewhat hollow sound
          4. Strings such as salicional and other names. These pipes are thin diameter open pipes which have a much stronger harmonic development
          5. Reeds such as trumpets, oboes, rohr schalmi, and many others. These pipes create the sound by a striking reed in the bottom of the pipe much like the mouth piece of a clarinet and then have a resonator which shapes the sound of the beating reed.

A classical organ will be dominated by the diapsons(about 30 percent) with the stopped flutes next. Open flutes are not popular with the neo-baroque set. There will generally be few reeds mostly of the trumpet or oboe type. The clarinet is starting to come back in style.

A theatre organ will have all the above types of pipes with the string and reeds dominating being about 50 percent on small organs.

I hope this brief description will help you navigate thru the more extensive references described above.

Comment

Working...
          X