This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antiphonal party horn is given too much attention

In too many organs an en-chamade or antiphonal party horn is made more important than it should be.
    Sometimes in the main organ things are neglected or compromised so that the party horn can be included
    in the specification. These party horns have very limited use.

Our Festival Trumpet on 10-inches of wind can be very useful. It is in the Choir division. There is a Trumpet on the Great that is on about 4-inches of wind. It has a nice round tone - somewhat like a not-too-aggressive Tuba. Last Saturday for a wedding, my "solo trumpet" stop was the Festival Trumpet plus the Great Trumpet plus the Grand Cornet. Yes it all blended well and no it was not too loud. Is the Festival Trumpet essential? Probably not. But it is useful. This is a III/72 organ, so the Festival Trumpet did not cause something else to be left out. I wish we had a 32-foot open wood, but then who does not wish thus?

P.S.: Yes, I realize that this thread is "antiphonal horn" and not a "festival trumpet in the main organ" thread. Mea culpa!

Comment

Originally posted by Menschenstimme View Post
      Our Festival Trumpet on 10-inches of wind can be very useful. It is in the Choir division. There is a Trumpet on the Great that is on about 4-inches of wind. It has a nice round tone - somewhat like a not-too-aggressive Tuba. Last Saturday for a wedding, my "solo trumpet" stop was the Festival Trumpet plus the Great Trumpet plus the Grand Cornet. Yes it all blended well and no it was not too loud. Is the Festival Trumpet essential? Probably not. But it is useful. This is a III/72 organ, so the Festival Trumpet did not cause something else to be left out. I wish we had a 32-foot open wood, but then who does not wish thus?

P.S.: Yes, I realize that this thread is "antiphonal horn" and not a "festival trumpet in the main organ" thread. Mea culpa!
      We have a Fanfare Trumpet 8' in our organ's Antiphonal/Solo Division that is very useful. It is balanced by a gorgeous Hooded Tuba 8' in the Main Organ and several lesser Trumpet stops. And yes, I do lust for a 32' Open Wood!

David

Comment

Walker Technical. That is all.
        :-)

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
        We have a Fanfare Trumpet 8' in our organ's Antiphonal/Solo Division that is very useful. It is balanced by a gorgeous Hooded Tuba 8' in the Main Organ and several lesser Trumpet stops. And yes, I do lust for a 32' Open Wood!

David
        - - - Updated - - -

Amen and amen! Not far from me is a new "P" pipe organ in a huge barn of a (RC) church. They have only 18 (IIRC) pipe ranks plus numerous digitoid stops. The M/D chose to have luxury appointments in the two consoles (fancy keyboards, etc) in lieu of more pipes... then, ONE of the 18 pipe ranks HAD to be a party horn.. which prolly ate up as much $$ as a couple real pipe mixture stops. ARGH!
        Bill Miller, Phila PA

Originally posted by Mirabilis View Post
        In too many organs an en-chamade or antiphonal party horn is made more important than it should be.
        Sometimes in the main organ things are neglected or compromised so that the party horn can be included
        in the specification. These party horns have very limited use.

Comment

Well, the original design of our instrument had 7 stops in the Antiphonal/Solo division, 2 of which were to be horizontal reeds. Subsequent revisions prior to construction cut the number of stops in the division to 4 and moved the horizontal Tuba 8' to the Main Organ as a hooded version (which is directly playable from 3 of the 4 manuals without coupling). That Tuba is just beautiful!

David

Comment

Dave, if you're referring to my post--- I meant Walker for the lusted-after 32 Open Wood. :-)
            R, Bill

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
            Well, the original design of our instrument had 7 stops in the Antiphonal/Solo division, 2 of which were to be horizontal reeds. Subsequent revisions prior to construction cut the number of stops in the division to 4 and moved the horizontal Tuba 8' to the Main Organ as a hooded version (which is directly playable from 3 of the 4 manuals without coupling). That Tuba is just beautiful!

David

Comment

beel m, I understood what you meant.

David

Comment

Working...
              X