This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ in OLA Church, Chicago

Does anyone know what kind of pipe organ was installed in the Our Lady of the Angels Church on Chicago's west side? It is the Roman Catholic parish whose school experienced the deadly fire in 1958 that many will remember. The church building still stands, but is used by a non-Catholic congregation. Thanks.

Re: Organ in OLA, Chicago

I am unsure of the organ's maker, although I did see an article about it recently.(I can't remember where, of course.) I believe the tragic fire of which you speak occured at Holy Angels Parish School. There is a book written about the sire(with numerous photos) entitled, "To Sleep with the Angels."

If you go to the Archdiocese of Chicago website, you may find a link for OLA.

Joseph H.

Comment

Re: Organ in OLA, Chicago

The fire was at Our Lady of the Angels School (see olafire.com). One of the fire survivors had later become organist for the church for a few years. I had e-mail contact with her a few years back,but she could not remember who built the organ. She is now deceased (late 2003). I understad they used the pipe organ up into the '60's then got an electronic organ that was placed down front. Assuming the pipe organ was in the back balcony made me wonder if the pipe organ was everremoved once it was retired. If fact, I wonder if it STILL might be in the church.

Comment

Working...
      X