This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wanamaker Organ

[quote user="Jason E"][quote user="radagast"][quote user="Jason E"][quote user="radagast"]

The Virgil Fox Wanamaker CD is one of my two favorite organ CD's.

[/quote]
    Now you have my full, undivided attention: what is the other CD?
    [/quote]

The other is the late Tom Hazleton's CD called "Echoes of the Basilica".

Many here would not even listen to it, because it is on a four manual Allen. But it is installed in a church with great acoustics. What makes this so good is Mr. Hazleton's arrangements of various pieces. They are extraordinary. I had a chance to talk to him before he died and asked if his arrangements were published. He said no, they were improvisations. Too bad.

One of the reasons I like the sound of that particular organ is it has a floating string division, which sounds great in that acoustic.

[/quote]
    Any details on this CD- label, distributor? I know next to nothing about electronic organs (though I read the applicable threads out of interest), but obviously you're quite knowledgeable here. I'm willing to give it a try. If it not be currently available could you PM me an mp3 example? Cheers.
    [/quote]

That CD is available from Allen's website. I gather you are from "across the pond", so I don't know about shipping. It can be found here:

http://www.allenorgan.com/store/aoc-031-2009aud.html

There are some excerpts there is you can play Windows Media or Quicktime files.

Bill

Comment

Re: Wanamaker Percentage

The Voxes will be restored first and will be located towards the front of the old Orchestral chamber.

The restored Orchestral Divisionwill be relocated to a brand new chamber on the west side of the 4th floor, adjecent to the String Division.

The Orchestral Division restoration and relocation should be done in about a year. That will bring the Wanamaker Organ to 100% operational.

Comment

I wonder if they will restore the Stentor division on manual VI as originally invisioned.
        (A large manual and pedal division consisting of high pressure diapasons and reeds.)

Comment

The Stentor division was never built. I have the Wanamaker book and it
          lists severals specs for it. The Stentor expression pedal controls the
          speed of the tremolos.

Comment

[quote user="robmcw"]I wonder if they will restore the Stentor division on manual VI as originally invisioned.
            (A large manual and pedal division consisting of high pressure diapasons and reeds.)
            [/quote]

The Stentor division itself will never get builtandthere really isn't a need for it today because of the vastly improved acoustics with the upper floors glassed in and all the velvet curtains removed.

The Stentor manual is in operation and any of the other divisions, floating or coupled, can be played from it.

The Stentor would have been located on the 5th floor above the String Division, and would have been on 50-100" of pressure, which would have blown the roof off the place.

Comment

Working...
            X