This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pipe Organ for Church

I was wondering what the cost of installing a pipe organ (used or new-whatever is cheaper) into a catholic church, here in town. We only have 2 catholic churches within a 1 hr radius, and none of them have a real pipe organ. One of them as a small, 1980's Allen, the other a larger 1990's Allen. The churches themselves are beautiful and big in size; the space should be filled with the sound of a real pipe organ.

The other question would be how to raise the money. I have a few ideas in mind, including fund-raisers, hosting local AGO meetings there, concerts, and even bake sales... (we might be able to sell enough brownies to upgrade to an adjustable bench ). Any other ideas of how to raise the $ would be greatly appreciated too.

So basically, how much would it cost to install an pipe organ (the bigger the better, probably not under 15 ranks) and maybe some ideas of how to raise the money for it.

Thanks!
    YO

Anywhere from $150,000 for a minimal, but adequate, restored second-hand pipe organ - up to at least $2,000,000 for a new, custom-built full concert organ.

No offense intended - but the fund-raising techniquies that you mention are inadequate and anachronistic. The best way for a parish to fund any expensive project is to get a few rich folks interested in paying the entire bill.

Good luck and God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by Menschenstimme View Post
      Anywhere from $150,000 for a minimal, but adequate, restored second-hand pipe organ - up to at least $2,000,000 for a new, custom-built full concert organ.

No offense intended - but the fund-raising techniquies that you mention are inadequate and anachronistic. The best way for a parish to fund any expensive project is to get a few rich folks interested in paying the entire bill.

Good luck and God bless!
      Haha! None taken. It's just that in our town, it's hard to find rich, catholic folk, especially that go to our church.

Knowing this, I need to go on a little hunt...

Thanks!

Comment

I received quotes for restored used organs in the last week - all two manual with AGO pedalboards, including installation and voicing.

a) 16 ranks (including a 32' pedal rank), multi memory combination actions, no midi or transposer - $110K.
        b) 16 ranks (16' pedal rank), single memory combination action and transposer, but no midi - $80K
        c) 5 ranks (16' pedal rank), multi memory combination action, midi and transposer - $50 K
        d) 8 ranks (16' pedal rank), a few general combinations, no midi, no transposer - rough estimate $ 70 K

As a comparison, digital organ quotes ranged from $20K to $55K for Hauptwerk consoles, some new, some reworked Allens or Rodgers, sample set(s), amps, speakers, installation and voicing.

Good hunting!

SB

Comment

Originally posted by Young Organist View Post
          I was wondering what the cost of installing a pipe organ (used or new-whatever is cheaper) into a catholic church, here in town. We only have 2 catholic churches within a 1 hr radius, and none of them have a real pipe organ. One of them as a small, 1980's Allen, the other a larger 1990's Allen. The churches themselves are beautiful and big in size; the space should be filled with the sound of a real pipe organ.

So basically, how much would it cost to install an pipe organ (the bigger the better, probably not under 15 ranks)
          Without knowing a LOT more it is impossible to give you any sort of accurate prediction.

For instance, how much chamber space (if any) is available? Are there multiple chamber locations (even on opposite sides of a balcony), or would the organ be entirely in a single location?

Are there architectural needs that would need to be addressed, such as a stained-glass window that needs to remain visible?

Will the organ require casework in order to not appear as though it is strangely out of place?

Is the structure of the building adequate to support an instrument (they are quite heavy!)?

Will the wiring of the building need to be brought up to code?

Where will the blower be located, and is there sufficient electrical service available there?

Will the blower location need to be modified at all, either to keep out moisture and bugs, or to provide sound deadening or other structual support?

What are the acoustics of the space? It makes a difference as to the tonal design that would be successful, which in turn impacts price.

How difficult is it to get into the space where the organ would be installed? Every stairway (including those leading into the building) adds significantly to the cost. A ceiling hatch adds a dramatic amount.

How far is it to the nearest reasonable access to the building?

Where is the nearest decent lodging? What about meals?

Are there volunteers in the congregations that can be reasonably expected to lend consistent, quality, and valuable assistance?

All of these (and others) will make a big difference in the price of the project, and we haven't even begun to discuss the instrument itself yet.

What more can you tell us? And if there is a realistic possibility - read: probability - that a project can be undertaken, it would make sense to have a professional builder out to examine the space(s) and determine if it would be possible to install an instrument. Believe it or not, there are churches where it is simply an impossibility.

Kind regards,
          Shawn

Comment

On facebook in the pipe organ tuners section there is a post about a Hall organ that can be gotten for free. Look it up, Good Luck
            Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx

Comment

The organ in question is a 2 manual Hall of 13 ranks and is in Canada. The posting is on facebook and is in the pipe organ tuners section, look it up.
              Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx

Comment

Originally posted by pictureroll View Post
                The organ in question is a 2 manual Hall of 13 ranks and is in Canada. The posting is on facebook and is in the pipe organ tuners section, look it up.
                Where is this Jerry? Haven't been able to find it. Could you leave me link?
                Thanks
                YO

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by majestique View Post
                Without knowing a LOT more it is impossible to give you any sort of accurate prediction.

For instance, how much chamber space (if any) is available? Are there multiple chamber locations (even on opposite sides of a balcony), or would the organ be entirely in a single location?

Are there architectural needs that would need to be addressed, such as a stained-glass window that needs to remain visible?

Will the organ require casework in order to not appear as though it is strangely out of place?

Is the structure of the building adequate to support an instrument (they are quite heavy!)?

Will the wiring of the building need to be brought up to code?

Where will the blower be located, and is there sufficient electrical service available there?

Will the blower location need to be modified at all, either to keep out moisture and bugs, or to provide sound deadening or other structual support?

What are the acoustics of the space? It makes a difference as to the tonal design that would be successful, which in turn impacts price.

How difficult is it to get into the space where the organ would be installed? Every stairway (including those leading into the building) adds significantly to the cost. A ceiling hatch adds a dramatic amount.

How far is it to the nearest reasonable access to the building?

Where is the nearest decent lodging? What about meals?

Are there volunteers in the congregations that can be reasonably expected to lend consistent, quality, and valuable assistance?

All of these (and others) will make a big difference in the price of the project, and we haven't even begun to discuss the instrument itself yet.

What more can you tell us? And if there is a realistic possibility - read: probability - that a project can be undertaken, it would make sense to have a professional builder out to examine the space(s) and determine if it would be possible to install an instrument. Believe it or not, there are churches where it is simply an impossibility.

Kind regards,
                Shawn
                Wow, Shawn!
                Yes, the whole process of finding and installing an organ is very lengthy. I was just pondering the possibilities, to even mention it to our priest. I just wanted to know if it was possible. Seeing SB's post above, as well as others, I know that (with a lot of money) it's possible.
                I'll read through all of your suggestions again when we (hopefully!) get a new organ! I'll keep you posted!

Thanks
                YO

Comment

Originally posted by havoline27 View Post
                  I received quotes for restored used organs in the last week - all two manual with AGO pedalboards, including installation and voicing.

a) 16 ranks (including a 32' pedal rank), multi memory combination actions, no midi or transposer - $110K.
                  b) 16 ranks (16' pedal rank), single memory combination action and transposer, but no midi - $80K
                  c) 5 ranks (16' pedal rank), multi memory combination action, midi and transposer - $50 K
                  d) 8 ranks (16' pedal rank), a few general combinations, no midi, no transposer - rough estimate $ 70 K

As a comparison, digital organ quotes ranged from $20K to $55K for Hauptwerk consoles, some new, some reworked Allens or Rodgers, sample set(s), amps, speakers, installation and voicing.

Good hunting!

SB
                  Thankyou SB, so much! All the quotes are great to know.
                  I would love to get a real, pipe organ, but if we'd get a electric, I'd go with a hauptwerk or a Johannus.

Anyway, thanks again!
                  YO

This is extremely helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by havoline27 View Post

Good hunting!

SB
                    Thankyou SB, so much! All the quotes are great to know.
                    I would love to get a real, pipe organ, but if we'd get a electric, I'd go with a hauptwerk or a Johannus.

Anyway, thanks again!
                    YO

This is extremely helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by pictureroll View Post
                      On facebook in the pipe organ tuners section there is a post about a Hall organ that can be gotten for free. Look it up, Good Luck
                      Having the organ given is the easy thing. Rebuilding it and installing it are still going to be expensive, even in the best case scenario.

I have two complete instruments in storage, both well worth rebuilding and installing in the right situation, and both relatively easy to rebuild. Even if I gave the organs to the potential recipients, they would invest a *minimum* of $100K in getting them ready and installed. One is 16 ranks, the other 17, so neither is a huge instrument.

Kind regards,
                      Shawn

Comment

Check with the Organ Clearing House. They often have some very nice organs.

James
                        Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
                        Baldwin Spinet 58R
                        Lowrey Spinet SCL
                        Wurlitzer 4100A
                        Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
                        Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
                        Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

If there is a way for a link, I am clueless
                          The mans name for the facebook post is
                          Alexander Richard Straus-Fausto
                          and the postings are in
                          Pipe Organ Tuners
                          If you move it out of the garage they will donate it to your church for a charitable tax receipt.
                          Good Luck
                          Jerry F Bacon-Dallas,Tx

Comment

Does this work?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4822.../?query=fausto

Also, have you considered a combination organ? That is, an electronic organ with a few ranks of real pipes. I hear they're a growing trend.

Comment

I have worked on several organs which were installed by volunteer groups. The quality ranged from dreadful to excellent. The better ones hired a real pipe organ professional as a consultant and followed his advice to the letter. Some of the instruments in question were one or more used organs combined, re-voiced, reconfigured to make a larger, more complete instrument.

My point is, that even the most well educated, well meaning group of volunteers need that professional guidance with experience. Otherwise there will be problems - things that you would never guess in a million years unless you have real, hands on experience with pipe organs.

Your church can save a small fortune this way and end up with a fine instrument. But it can be tricky. Volunteers need guidance every step of the way, otherwise they end up doing things like sawing holes in swell boxes and sending sawdust into three ranks of reeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X