This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re-leathering a Kilgen 4 rank organ

You're right "less practical" is a better choice of words. The current to drive the magnet at higher pressures with large pallet diameter is quite high requiring much higher voltage. That puts the driver ic's (UDN2981 or ULN2803) past design limits and requires discrete transistors. Plus the puwer disipation in the magnet causes considerable heating. There is a way to use capacitors to get a turn-on kick but the additional parts and circuit board just make it not very practical. You can get away with 5 or 6 inches with reisner 90 ohm units for the trebles but the bigger pipes need the 45 ohm coils. Since I have several new? DE chests I wanted to use them for a little VOX at 7-8 inches but the driving voltage when I tested the chesttoo high. That's why I decided to use an EP chest for this. I got a Moller that looked nice on the outside. Well it was left out in the rain so I'm now releathering it as I get the time. There are those that use DE up to high pressures like Wicks but I prefer the Reisner magnets as they are simple, readily available, and not too expensive. These are for my little 6 rank organ connected to an older Allen. I makethe Midi interface for several Allen models.Actually I better get busy now otherwise it'll never get done. Next project is a D Wurly.

Later, Al

Comment

"I figured I would just throw some bricks on it till i get to about 4.5" of wind, which should allow for the action and 4" of wind for the pipe work."

Just so you know, Electro-pneumatic organ actions use an absolutely insignificant volume of wind to operate, contrary to what any Wicks ad will try and tell you. If you want your pipes to speak at 4" and the chest will work on that pressure, by all means set your regulator to 4".

My advice to you is to use mostly springs to achieve your pressure with the exception of a small weight to support a pneumatic tremolo, in order to prevent the wind system from being excessively bouncy.
      - N

Comment

This may save you a little time.

To calculate the correct amount of weight to place on a given reservoir:

(W x L x P x 0.036) - H = Required sprung or dead weight in lbs.

Where:

W is the width of the reservoir head in inches
        L is the length of the reservoir head in inches
        P is the desired wind pressure in inches
        H is the weight of the reservoir top in lbs.

The constant 0.036 is the weight of one cubic inch of water.

I won't debate sprung versus dead weight, each has their application, virtues and problems.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I have taken some of the magnets out and spread 2 with contact cleaner and 2 with w-d40 to see if i can get a better reading. The armature that the wires are wrapped around are rusted and the pallets that cover the exhuast ports are rusted or oxidzed.

I will try and test some more magnets today and see if I can get any readings. But i can not even measure voltage between the two contact points, let alone ohms. The meter is working so we will see what happens.

Thanks Mr Odell for the formula on calculating the weight for the regulator.

Have a great Holiday.

Chris

Comment

Well I am giving up on the Kilgen Action and am planning on going to direct electric. So anyone interested in the kilgen action let me know.

Comment

Working...
            X