This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Estey Pipe Organ Available in Maine

I'm not sure which forum this belongs in - Admin can properly place. Anyway, just a few moments ago I got this notice from my AGO chapter secretary:

"St. James' Episcopal Church, Old Town, replaced our old Esty organ with a Johannus digital organ several years ago, and we had hoped to find another church that wanted our old organ. I have consulted a church organist or two and also a couple of organ companies, and it seems no one is interested. We wondered whether any college or high school music departments would have use for the organ? It is playable, but was never a "fine" instrument. A recent item in the Penobscot Times from 100 years ago stated that St. James' was getting a new organ, and we know the church purchased it secondhand.

Please let me know if you can suggest anyone who might have an interest in the organ. It has a beautiful old oak case, ivories, and pipes, and it seems a shame to have it be hauled away as trash. Thanks so much for your thoughts on this."

Sincerely,

Mary

Mary Cathcart
    Senior Policy Associate

Margaret Chase Smith Policy Center
    University of Maine
    5784 York Bldg. 4
    Orono ME 04469
    207-581-1539
    [email protected]

Laura Artesani, D.M.A.
    Associate Professor, Division of Music
    School of Performing Arts
    University of Maine
    [email protected]
    work phone: 207-581-1745

Mr. Dostie,

I'm sure you're familiar with Kevin B., organist in Bangor's Catholic Church. Perhaps the Organ Historical Society, or the Organ Clearing House would be interested in parts, or all of it.

When the Catholic church in Orono closed, they moved the Estey pipe organ (tubular pneumatic) to a church Old Town. I'm not sure which church it was, though. I actually played that organ while I attended UME for a time in the early 1980s. Interesting instrument. At the time, the church you're speaking of tried to get me to play for them, but the organ was so poor I wouldn't consider it. If it's the church I'm thinking of, the Swell shades were mounted horizontally, and the box was painted forest green.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
      I'm sure you're familiar with Kevin B., organist in Bangor's Catholic Church. Perhaps the Organ Historical Society, or the Organ Clearing House would be interested in parts, or all of it.
      When the Catholic church in Orono closed, they moved the Estey pipe organ (tubular pneumatic) to a church Old Town. I'm not sure which church it was, though. I actually played that organ while I attended UME for a time in the early 1980s. Interesting instrument. At the time, the church you're speaking of tried to get me to play for them, but the organ was so poor I wouldn't consider it. If it's the church I'm thinking of, the Swell shades were mounted horizontally, and the box was painted forest green.
      Given that the two signatories to the original letter are both associated with the University, they are probably familiar with Kevin Birch themselves. I assume that someone in the Bangor AGO or one of the builders the writers consulted must have told them about OHS or the Organ Clearing House. I just passed their request along as a matter of possible interest. I know that Estey must have built a number of good instruments over the years, but every one that I've ever played has had some weird specs and no real ensemble. Maybe, though, somebody could use some of the pipework. Bill Czelnusniak, possibly.

Rick Dostie

Comment

Working...
      X