Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the biggest and the smallest organ you have ever played on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the biggest and the smallest organ you have ever played on?

The biggest for me was:

Casavant - 4 manuals, 101 ranks, 5731 pipes. It was glorious!

The smallest was:

A fully restored Bilhorn Folding Organ. It was delightful!

Re: What is the biggest and the smallest organ you have ever played on?

small= 1 / 1 wicks home organ 61 pipes
    large= 4 / 325 moller chapel organ circa 20,000 pipes

Comment

smallest - my "op. 1" - 13 pipes....2'C- 1'C
      biggest - Hill Auditorium - 4/124ish

Comment

Beverley Minster (Yorkshire, ER) - 4/78

(Smallest organ? Who knows.)

Comment

The largest was a 5m Raffatti/Zimmer 90ish ranks and the smallest was a 3 rank Moller.

Comment

My largest was the Ruffatti at Coral Ridge Presbyterian 5/178 and the smallest was a 4 rank unit organ by Hallman.

Comment

The largest organ I played is the Hazel Wright organ at the Crystal Cathedral

in Garden Grove California. This was during the time Fred Swann was
              organist there and he was so kind to let me play for about three hours after they just tuned the instrument. It was about 8:00 pm.
              They left
              all the lights on and to view the stars above me while playing was
              quite an experience. As for the smallest organ, I have yet to bump into it.

Comment

robmcw,

I think Fred Swann is great! I met him after a concert, and not only did he give a fantastic concert, he was very kind and very pleasant. The AGO is very fortunate to have him as their President.

Comment

performed on is the IV/148 Walcker in the Riga Dom (68th largest), followed by the V/143 Rieger in the St. Matthias Church, Budapest (81st largest).

I have an open invitation to play #17 on the "biggest list" - the V/206 organ at Riverside Church; but alas I have no plans to visit New York in the near future. []

The smallest organ I've performed on would probably be a 5-rank Moller Artiste. I played some of Elgar's "Vesper Voluntaries" - and they sounded good!

Comment

I am a bit curious to know if the rank count at Riverside is still at 206.I note that in published specs the pedal 10-2/3 GrossQuint made of stopped bourdon pipes from the 1930 instrument has been omitted probabaly owing to an oversight.

The Solo GrossTerz 3-1/5 that was there during my 1982 summer visit with John Walker had been added outside the Solo shades at the suggestion of Jean Guilliou. The effect on the two powerful Harmonic Trumpets was AWESOME! The 8ft is on 14 or 15" and 4 ft on a mere 10". The 3-1/5' added an edgy quality to these reeds likeI had never heard before. Since thenI went on to experiment with other off-unison flue mutations and powerful and also more moderate trumpets and have discovered a similar phenomenon when adding a 5-1/3' flue, 2-2/7' flue and also reed off-unison mutations though rare yet very incredible in the full chorus.

The Riverside organ has apparantly had restored a long-removed Fife 2ft to the Solo that was in the 1954 organ made of the 1930 Doppelflote pipes. Also added has been what sounds like a dark Tuba Mirabilis 8 to the Bombarde division [based on a recordingI have heard of it ].

Comment

Regarding Riverside...

The nycago website lists 204 ranks; in 1994 someone on piporg-l listed 222 ranks; the "world's largest" website lists 206.

The number changes, obviously. [] Unfortunately, I can't lay my hands on a nice glossybook about the organ that I got at the 1996AGO convention. But even that may not reflectthe current state ofthe organ.

Ifyou are really dyingto know the answers [], I can call the curator...

Comment

Biggest--The Crystal Cathedral

Smallest--a 2 rank Wicks unit organ

The largest I regularly played was the V/205 Moller at Calvary Church, Charlotte, NC, where I used to be the Assoc. Minister of Music/Organist.

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

I played some of Elgar's "Vesper Voluntaries" - and they sounded good!

[/quote]
                          Elgar's delectable voluntaries somehow manage to sound "good" whatever the venue. Have you ever looked at the Organ Sonata? It does not provide the instant gratification of other large organ works, and only yields its secrets to the open hearted.

The largest organ I have played -Beverley Minster- comes in at 817 as the largest in the world. Nothing to compare with the rest of this thread. Lucky people, you!

Beverley is a remarkable town. At the other end of the high street from the Minster is St. Mary's, a lovely extravaganza of pinnacled transepts, perpendicular-style remodeling on the west front, and a spot or two of its Norman roots. The interior is late medieval in full flower.

Beverley's heyday as a market town was in the 14th century, but by the time of the Dissolution, the Minster was passed up for cathedral status. Fortunately for us it survived and seems well cared for. One wonders how such a modest town manages the upkeep of these two magnificent churches!

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

Regarding Riverside...

The nycago website lists 204 ranks; in 1994 someone on piporg-l listed 222 ranks; the "world's largest" website lists 206.

The number changes, obviously. [] Unfortunately, I can't lay my hands on a nice glossy book about the organ that I got at the 1996 AGO convention. But even that may not reflect the current state of the organ.

If you are really dying to know the answers [], I can call the curator...

[/quote]

Soubasse32:

Thanks much for your comments. I am mildly curious about the few points I mentioned. If you should come upon that information I would be appreciative if you would post it here.

Sesqui-16

Comment

You are all so lucky to have such large and varied instruments at your disposal! I play the second largest organ on the Maltese islands, which is fairly modest - III/29 (stops, not ranks). The largest, over at the other cathedral in Valletta, is III/35, from what I remember.

However, the largest abroad? Salisbury Cathedral - IV/65 or Exeter Cathedral IV/70 (?). There's Buckfast Abbey too, which must be about 70 stops.

Smallest - I/5 (but I think there was one I played in Malta recently which was even smaller).

Comment

Working...
                              X