Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the biggest and the smallest organ you have ever played on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the biggest and the smallest organ you have ever played on?

Biggest: Royal Albert Hall, London

Smallest: 4 stop one manual extension organ made of diapason and stopped wood bass. Swell pedal. Nasty sound. Almost induced suicidal tendancies. [8-)]

Comment

The largest organ I have played would be the Rieger IV P/ 69 stops (92 ranks?) at the Scots Presbyterian Church in Melbourne. Truely a fantastic instrument. It is well suited to both Baroque and Romantic Repartoire. I have played it twice, Couperin sounds wonderful on it,the reeds are quite powerful. Buxtehude and Bach also sound wonderful on it.

The smallest is the Whitehouse II P/10 stop at the Holy Trinity Parish church here in my hometown. It is very much in the late edwardian flavour, despite being built in 1956, with its quite thick and heavy Diapason, and the Oboe from hell that never seems to be in tune. I think that is mainly due to our tropical climate here

Comment

In my organ-builder days the biggest organ I played was in de St Jan Cathedral in Gouda, the Netherlands. We restaurated the organ.

It is a Moreau Organ dated from 1736, has 3 manuals, pedal, 64 stops devided over 3 divisions and pedal.

The smallest: 1 octave 4 that I had to tune in the workshop. 56 pipes...

It was wonderful..but the church was really very cold to work in...8 weeks for placing the windchests back and place and intonate and tune all pipes...

with kind regards, etude57.

Comment

Biggest - Yorkminster Cathedral. Not sure what wind pressure that Tuba Mirabilis is on but GOSH its loud! (If anybody knows, I'd love to find out!)

Smallest - Little school organ - 6 stops - reputedly Elgar's practice organ!

Regards,

Tutti_Toccata51

Comment

[quote user="Tutti_Toccata51"] Biggest - Yorkminster Cathedral. Not sure what wind pressure that Tuba Mirabilis is on but GOSH its loud! (If anybody knows, I'd love to find out!)[/quote]

It's on 15" of wind. [H]

Comment

The biggest is the V/205 Moller at Cavary Church in Charlotte: http://theatreorgans.com/laird/calvary/

Smallest? Probably a II/2 practice organ in college.

Comment

[quote user="soubasse32"]

[quote user="Tutti_Toccata51"] Biggest - Yorkminster Cathedral. Not sure what wind pressure that Tuba Mirabilis is on but GOSH its loud! (If anybody knows, I'd love to find out!)[/quote]

It's on 15" of wind. [H]

[/quote]

Thanks Soubasse. That surprises me actually! I thought It would be more than that. The other Church that I got to and sing in the choir (It's organ is my pic!) Has a tuba on 17" of wind. And they might be getting it increased to 20"!

Thanks though!

TT

Comment

The largest pipe organ I have ever played was the 3/48 Schlicker I used to take lessons on at the First Presbyterian in Meadville PA.

Smallest pipe organ was the 3/8 Robert Morton in the Jefferson theatre, Beaumont TX.

This is a picture of my uncle at the console after its restoration.

Comment

I love the pictures, Orgrinder010! Those consoles look lovely. The one in TX is too far, but the one in PA I'd love to see/hear/play one day. It would still be quite a drive, but not nearly as far a drive as TX.

Comment

[quote user="Tutti_Toccata51"]

Smallest - Little school organ - 6 stops - reputedly Elgar's practice organ!

[/quote]

Where was that located? I had the pleasure once of playing the organ at St. George's RC in Worcester where Elgar's dad was organist. The stops that remain from Elgar's time are marked with an "E". I've never played York Minster (alas!), but have been to several Evensongs there.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I will find out for you.

Ah, St Georges, what is the organ like there? I'm sure it was a great experience! The yorkminster organ is fabulous (sorry!) When I went up to have a go, there is a notice saying don't play to loud! There are so many stops, it took me 5 mins to find a quiet registration. Went back at 11pm though, me and my teacher took it in turns to play the tuba mirabilis, each of us standing right next to the set of horizontal pipes! perhaps thats why it sounded so loud!

Kind regards,

TT

Comment

Back when I played on these two massive organs, I was young so I didn't quite remember the rank count. One of the largest organs I played on was a recently installed 2 million dollar pipe organ in Palm Beach Florida at an Episcopal Church. I believe I was there as a Pipe Organ Encounter with my teacher at that time. Massive thing, glorious sound.

Another organ I played on, which may have been the loudest, was the organ at the Air Force Academy Chapel Hall, a massive organ. I don't think everyone can get in there.

The smallest organ... can't exactly saw what the smallest one was.

Comment

Working...
                          X