This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean Grove Auditorium

I hope that this has not already been posted elsewhere, if it has I suppose I deserve to be flogged...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx8FQju0SXk

This instrument seems to have grown over the years, I wonder how much of the Hope-Jones remains. It has a website here:

http://www.oceangrove.org/auditorium_organ.html

- Nate

Re: Ocean Grove Auditorium

Nate,

Thanks for posting that. I just watched it. Quite an interesting instrument. Can't say I'm a big fan of the console- massive rows of stop tabs always looked ugly to me- why didn't they use draw knobs?

-Jon

Comment

Good Evening,

I am fairly certain that the Ocean Grove console is the original Longwood Gardens console. The tabs must be an Aeolian-thing. My suspicion is that the tabs were preferred in order to fit more stops on a relatively smaller console?

- Nate

Comment

Aeolians did have stop tab consoles on their player organs, but they were rather quirky and unique.

During that era they were also building standard drawknob consoles, such as you find at Duke University.

I have a feeling the unusual stoptabconsole from Longwood Gardens is something specifically requested by Firmin Swinnen.

I'm just guessing about that...

Comment

A question:

Would not the stop controls at Ocean Grove and the replica console at Longwood Gardens and also Wanamaker's be called rocker or tilting tabs?

Comment

Technically yes, but their point is that drawknobs are way more sexy. :)

Comment

Working...
            X