This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tremulants during Hymns

Well, maybe it is because I m Dutch and in the area where I live most organs are mechanical and Baroque-style...In most of the occasions when I use tremulants are when I find a part that needs tremulants...Then mostly this is Bach..Examples are: "Ich ruff zo Dir , Herr Jesu Christ", Am wasserflussen Babylon", "and in some parts of Max Reger, like: O Gott, Du frommer Gott etc..But also in improvisations..My personal opinion is that tremulants and hymn-singing don't go well together...Maybe it has to do with my aversion against Hammond-organs, theatre-organs etc...I prefer a style of playing that fits the organ...I am indeed a purist, I know...but maybe that is also because I worked years as organ-builder, and prefer the pure mechanical organ without to much thrills..A cymbelstern is the most extreme that I would use sometimes..But only when it fits in the character of the part-playing. (like X-mas and as mentioned before, in "silent night"..That adds something " extra".

With kind regards, etude57

Comment

Over here you're lucky to find one that works on most pipe organs, let alone have a choice about using it!

Comment

[quote user="Tenor Trumpet 8'"]

... but those of us who "know" better wouldn't use them in the main line churches during congreational singing....

[/quote]

Oh puh-lease. I know exactly what I'm doing and I play for a mainline church. Attendance is up and singing greatly improved since I took over. We're still not a mega church by any stretch of the imagination but 300 -350 every Sunday is the usual. The Methodist church still has some of those old, schmaltzy gospel tunes hanging around and there are hymns where the tremsare appropriate. Would I ever do it in the middle of a Catholic mass or Lutheran service? No - because it probably wouldn't be appropriate for that music.

But to say carte blanche that there is no situation where trems are appropriate and that someone doesn't "know better" than to use tremulants during a service reeks of inflexibility and elitism.

Comment

Well put Bombarde32. It all depends on the situation and circumstances.

Borrowing from Ecclesiastes, there is a time and a place for everything. Each and every stop on the organ has a purpose and is meant to be used -this statementdoesn't mean select stops all willy nilly, it means find creative ways to show what organs can do and break down the stereotype that organs are a dirge. When they tell you that you make that organ sing, or that they've heard sounds they never knew an organ could make, or that they feel that the pipe organ was a good investment because they can tell you really love to play the organ, thenone knowsthat one is on the right track.

With respect, in this age I think we organists need to be flexible and versatile. If one only plays Baroque, it's time to try Romantic. If one only plays Romantic, it's time to try Baroque. If there are stops one will never ever use, it's time to explore them. Ifone hasbeen using the same settings ontheir pistons for some time, it's time to re-explore the organ one plays on and see if something even better can be used. If learning a certain piece takes one out of their comfort zone, then one should go for it...unless of course we're talking playing ACDC or something like that!

Comment

All arguements against using tremulant in hymns is purely academic. Any true organist will use what he thinks is best regardless of what the books say. I'd say that it's the organists choice to use tremulant and if he thinks it helps better his music, then more power to him.

Comment

I do see your point, but my thoughts on the "know better" is from personal experieces, and I still say that common sense should rule regardless. There are all kinds of times and situations.

James

Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
              Baldwin Spinet 58R
              Lowrey Spinet SCL
              Wurlitzer 4100A
              Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
              Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
              Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Many times people in the congreation as well as ministers of music, and even pastors will tell you out right what they like or don't like you doing. I read the post from the man who said the minister's wife was on his case from his lack of using tremelo orvibrato. I have found a good number of people who couldn't play the organ, but sure could direct me on how to play from everything to I played too loud, or they didn't like a certain sound. Choir practice would often teach a lot at times if you changed matters around a bit too much. So, it all goes with a given situation, and personal opinions. No offense intended for anyone from me. This is learning experiece for everyone.

James

Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
                Baldwin Spinet 58R
                Lowrey Spinet SCL
                Wurlitzer 4100A
                Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
                Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
                Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

I had a fun time on Sunday. I used Trems on "He Lives" and it worked rather well. I went principals and flutes on Swell/Great coupled and both swell and great trems on during the verse. For the chorus I flipped off the Great trem and pulled the Great Fourniture. It was a neat effect. You had the big mixture kicking in on "He Lives! He lives! Christ Jesus lives today!" ... but on the longer notes you could still pick up a little of that gospel-ish warble from the swell trem coming through.

Comment

On Sunday, I also tried using a tremulant on the swell during the hymn 'Now the green blade riseth' - not sure if any of you know that hymn - the F minor tune. I used a fairly normal hymn registration, 8'4'2' on the swell and great. The tremulant is pretty good on our organ and it would have worked well, but our congregation didn't seem to know the hymn that well so I turned it off.

Comment

"the hymn 'Now the green blade riseth' - not sure if any of you know that hymn -..."

Only a Brit...

"Good afternoon! It's four o'clock, time now for Choral Evensong, coming to you this week live from the parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin in ------shire, on the feast of Easter. The settings for the Canticles are by William Byrd, the Anthem is "Now the Green Blade Riseth", the organist is ------ -------, We begin with an introit Oryctolagus Cuniculus Cumbere - "here comes Peter Cottontail"... (cut to live feed)

[][B]

Comment

I've heard it a couple of times but we never use it. I do like it though ...

Comment

"Now the green blade riseth", the same tune as the French carol "Noel Nouvelet"? Yep, I know it.

Si

Comment

Working...
                          X