This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnegie Hall Organ

I was at a concert at Carnegie Hall that included Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin, which includes some organ. I didn't realize they had an organ there anymore, and the part that the organ played was too brief toreally make any judgements about it's quality. Does anyone know anything about this organ?

Re: Carnegie Hall Organ

I'm pretty sure its a Rodgers digital. I'm guessing they are on their 3rd Rodgers at Carnegie.

First was the 1974 big 5 manual organ (analog) ala Virgil Fox. Sometime in the 80's a smaller 3 manual was installed. That one was listed on ebay about 2 years ago but never sold. It had a light oak finish to match the reconstructed hall. So presumably whatever is there now is from the 90's or perhaps newer but I'm pretty sure whatever it is its a Rodgers.

Comment

The Hall had a Kilgen pipe organ probabaly owing to Pietro Yon of St Patrick's Cathedral and later a Flentrop was delivered and rejected.

Comment

I heard that Vladimir Horowitz was instrumental in preventing the Flentrop from being installed there.

From where I was sitting (nosebleed section) I couldn't see the console. I guess it really is there only for small roles in the orchestra. Hopefully since there really isn't room for a pipe organ there, one will be installed in the renovated Avery Fisher Hall, since it was designed for one.

Comment

I thought that Isaac Stern and several other musicians blocked the Flentrop because it would have required cutting into the proscenium arch, possibly jeopardizing the acoustics.

Comment

Isaac Stern ...bingo.... something about "over his dead body" before a pipe organ ever installed (again) in the hall.... very fearful of losing the accoustic.

Comment

Preventing a pipe organ from being installed? How viol (sic)!

Comment

Although removing a pipe organ does not necessarily help acoustics either (Avery Fisher Hall)

Comment

[quote user="NYCFarmboy"]Isaac Stern ...bingo.... something about "over his dead body" before a pipe organ ever installed (again) in the hall.... [/quote]

That can be arranged. [6]

Of course I'm being irreverent [:P] - I realize he has already passed on.

So now we can have that organ! [:D]

Comment

The former Kilgen was somewhere on stage...though it was't the greatest of all organs....as of my last time over that way there is [was] a studio Kilgen on an upper floor of the building with exposed pipes visible from street level below flood lighted with purple on the shiny pipework...

As to Avery Fisher well....if they do get an organ...sure wonder what it will be...?

Comment

The Flentrop now resides at the Auditorium at the Purchase campus of the State University of New York.  

Despite the wealth of world-class pipe organs (both mechanical and electric action) to be found in the religious edifices of New York City, at the present time not one of the major concert venues in Manhattan have a suitable pipe organ.  This at a time where cities like Seattle and Philadelphia both have recently installed pipe organs. Craig Whitney discussed it in his lecture at AIO in 2004 and his workshop at AGO Region II this past week. Currently, outreach efforts of AGO, AIO and APOBA are working to ameliorate this.

It might be interesting to note that the concerto concert of the just ended AGO Region II convention was actually held at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola, with Kent Tritle conducting in a very cramped gallery.  The despite the unusual location, result was nothing short of stunning.  I have heard the Mander in concert many times before, but never in such a setting.  

Comment

http://www.flentrop.nl/orgelbouw/purcha_newy_univ.html

Here is the link to the Flentrop Orgelbouw page that shows the specs and a drawing of the organ. The rumor was that Obelrin was offered the instrument and turned it down. Not true, the Flentrop at Oberlin was designed by Dick Flentrop and Fenner Douglass for Warner Concert Hall.

It is amazing that the Purchase instrument is movable. from the looks of the drawing this must be some platform.

Comment

It's actually an "air caster" system; the entire organ is lifted off the floor ever so slightly by a cushion of air.  It still takes a team of 4 to 6 men to move the organ to the stage safely.

Comment

To be a johnny come lately to the party here, I checked the OHS database and came up with a Roosevelt installed in 1891, which was reportedlt enlarged by a 1916 Hillgreen-Lane install (and from the picture of the Hillgreen console I'd hazard a guess that it had ventils, I am not an expert on that, but that is my hazardous guess) The Hillgreen was replaced by the Kilgen, whichwas taken out, and in 1965, money was donated for the Flentrop which went to Purchase because Stokowski, Horowitz and Ormandy said that the organ would destroy the hall's acoustics. In 1970 a two manual Schlicker was brought in for Handle's Solomon. Later, in '74, a five manual Rodgers was brought in, this organ is the big Virgil Fox inspired [?] Rodgers. In 1993, a one manual Flentrop was built for Carnegie Hall, and my best guess is that they still have this small Flentrop, and Currently there is a three manual Rodgers in Carnegie Hall.

There is also the two manual Austin in the Library.

So there you have it, a fairly complete history of the organs in Carnegie Hall.

Comment

Working...
                            X