This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Oberlin Fisk

One does not have to go to France to hear a Cavaille-Coll. One can hear an example of the Master's work at Oberlin. Rubbish! While the Oberlin Fisk is a very good instrument, for what it is, it can't hold a candle to the real Cavaille-Coll article.

Re: The Oberlin Fisk

amenski
    my EXACT sentiments
    well-said
    rubbish at its worst!!

Comment

Comment

The only large Cavaille Coll in the USA was in St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans. When they bought the new Moller, around 1952, the Cavaille Coll ws literally left out on the street for the city to haul away!

There are two large Cavaille Colls still playing in Mexico; one in Guadalajara Cathedral, the other is in Matzatlan Cathedral. Both are three manuals and about 55 ranks.

There are SCADS of them in Central and South America! Check out Cavaille Coll on Yahoo Clubs and you will find a site about a two manual organ, but I have emailed him twice and he still hasn't told us where Sta Rosa is!

Comment

You know, I reread this earlier today, and distant bells started ringing, so I got on the net.
          I suggest you write Cavaille Coll into one of your search engines. I used Google. It turned up over ten pages of info on the name. ONE of the sites had a partial factory list.

Apparently, Cavaille Coll had an agent in Montreal. Several organs were shipped to him, but they have no record as to where they went. I know that Roosevelt used an awful lot of Cavaille Coll reeds. I think I could even give you the leads to locate one set of them.

Are there any Roosevelt organs near you? If there are, it might be worth a trip. If the reeds are original, then there's a good chance they might be Cavaille Coll. I suspect a person could tell by hearing them.

Did Johnson ever use Cavaille Coll reeds? What about Hook? I know that on several occasions 19th Century American organ builders ordered, at least, a stop or two from him. It would be MURDER to trace these things down. But it might be a project well worth it!

Dave

P. S. Would you believe a website I ran across called stsulpice.com. Yep! They have their own website. And it's all about the organ!

Comment

The Oberlin Fisk is an interesting instrument in an interesting semi-dead venue. As an organ major at Oberln I know Finney Chapel very well. They sort of "fixed" the hall before the current instrument was installed. It is a whole lot better but not like the large churches of Europe and America.

If you are ever near Pomona College (Claremont,California) go see the very next Fisk Opus - it is (I think) a better instrument in a much better hall. It really isnt heresy for an Obie to say that since Bill Peterson, the chair of the music department at Pomona is an Obie, too. Oh yes, omona has a "matini" also.

Comment

[quote user="jdcrash"]One does not have to go to France to hear a Cavaille-Coll. One can hear an example of the Master's work at Oberlin. Rubbish! While the Oberlin Fisk is a very good instrument, for what it is, it can't hold a candle to the real Cavaille-Coll article.[/quote]

That sentiment is somewhat subjective. Ifthe Fisk sounds different from a Cavaille-Coll, then I have to ask: Which Cavaille-Coll organ are you talking about? The St. Sulpice organ sounds different from the St. Denis organ, yet they are both masterpieces from Aristide.

Comment

On the subject of Cavaille-Coll pipes and Montreal, the Casavant at Notre-Dame, Montreal, has some CC stops, according to the uquebec website.

http://www.uquebec.ca/musique/orgues/quebec/ndamem.html:

Grande Orgue: Pausaune 16', Cromorne 8'

Recit: Cornet V, Hautbois 8', Vox Humaine 8'

Solo: Tuba 8'

The church is not particularly resonant, with all that wood, but the organ is very nice.The stoplist does not include a Trompette en Chamade added a few years ago, which is very powerful when you are in the organ loft.

Keith

Comment

I can assure all readers that the last thing anyone at Fisk, Oberln or Fenner Douglass wished for was that the Finney Chapel organ would sound like any paticulatr Cavaille-Coll instrument. That would never be possible, anyway.

Think of it (and all other such instruments) as made in "the style of"

Bill

Comment

[quote user="doppleflute"]

I can assure all readers that the last thing anyone at Fisk, Oberln or Fenner Douglass wished for was that the Finney Chapel organ would sound like any paticulatr Cavaille-Coll instrument. That would never be possible, anyway.

Think of it (and all other such instruments) as made in "the style of"

Bill

[/quote]

Yes, each organ builder wants to stand on their own with their own identity. I have heard organ builders say that they are not trying to copy a C-C organ, but that they have progressed and are developing their own sound. I wouldn't be surprised though, that if someone complimented their instrument by saying it sounds like one of C-C's large organs, that they would NOT take it as an insult.

Another Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X