Stop Order Help - Art Project for my wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Order Help - Art Project for my wife

My wife grew up playing this organ in her home town. A J.G. Pfeffer & Son organ originally in Kansas and rebuilt in Iowa by Quimby Pipe organs, we think. Anyway - last year the organ was destroyed and replaced. Thankfully we were able to get a few items. I was hoping for the stop boards or a manual. Alas, I got about 10 wooden pipes, most of the stop puller thingies and the bell mechanism (PLEASE remind me what that is called!!!)

If I list the stops here, might you be able to help me recreate the order of what the stops might have looked like? The organ had two manuals and 13 ranks. Here is the list of stops... pardon my misspelling of a few - I can't read the font and don't want to ask my wife as it will be a surprise gift. In no particular order...

I Flute Damoux 4
    Great Super Octave 2
    I Gamba 8
    Octave Complex
    2 Flute Harmonie 4
    I Open Diapason 8
    I Octave 4
    I Melodia 8
    ? Bonxdon 16
    ?w Kieblich Gedackt 8
    2 Violin Diapason 8
    ? Violincello 8
    Tremolo
    (sorry - this one is odd...) Sm.
    tided. Conpler (huh?)
    Swell to Great
    Great to Pedal
    1 Dulcinana 8
    2 Salicional 8

Because of the way these are angled, I can almost tell which side of the manuals they went on. But in what order? I cannot find a photo of the organ online. Am I missing some?

Does this make sense? Can someone help? I do appreciate anything. Thanks!! I'm taking the parts to the artist today for him to get an idea of what to do, but we have plenty of time before he starts working on it.

Thanks again,
    Mike

The Organ Historical Society maintains a database of many pipe organs, and lists 15 organs for "Pfeffer". There are several firms that include the name of Pfeffer, so look through the list carefully. It would help to know the original City where the organ was installed or the city where it was last installed.

Go to: https://www.pipeorgandatabase.org/St...archForm01.php and enter "Pfeffer" as the builder. I could not find a stoplist that matched several of these stops, so I couldn't identify the instrument.

See, in particular, these listings which have pictures of the stops--be sure to click on the small pictures to see them full sized: https://www.pipeorgandatabase.org/Or...p?OrganID=1203
    https://www.pipeorgandatabase.org/Or...p?OrganID=1009

Many of the stops will have a 1, 2 or Ped at the beginning--this indicates if it is for the 1st manual (lower), 2nd manual (upper) or Pedal.

Here are some corrections for your stoplist.

"Flute Harmonie" should be Flute Harmonic
    "Bonxdon 16" is Bourdon 16
    "Kieblich Gedackt 8" is Lieblich Gedackt 8
    "Violincello 8" is Violoncello.
    "Sm. tided. Conpler" should probably read "Sw Coppel" for Swell Coupler (ties Swell, upper keyboard, to Great, lower keyboard).

Could "Flute Damoux" be Flute Descant or Discant?

"Octave Complex" Might be Octave Coppel.

If you are taking these names from a photo of the stops, please post the photos--it would be heloful.

As to the order, the pictures in the OHS listings is your best guide.

Comment

Thanks... unfortunately the stop list isn’t in their database that I could find. I’ll keep looking for original build. My wife says the organ was moved in the 60s but she could be wrong too.

https://pipeorgandatabase.org/OrganD...p?OrganID=3663

thanks for the help on the stops. I have them on my kitchen table. Will upload photos later... if I can.

Again, thanks!

mike

Comment

Be sure to look at the stop photos on those 2 organ links--builders tended to do things the same way most of the time, and it'll give you the sequence they followed. If scroll down to the stop photos, then click on them, and click again on the image page that loads you'll get an enlarged view.

Comment

"Flute D'Amour" maybe?

David

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
            "Flute D'Amour" maybe?

David
            David,

I think you've got it!

Toodles

Comment

I would guess the names beginning with 1 were Great stops, those beginning with 2 Swell Stops. At any rate, one can put together a typical stoplist for the time with this presumptions. (If the "Great Super Octave 2" really does lack an initial number, it may have been a later addition, upperwork being somewhat uncommon in small organs of the time. Perhaps the "Octave Complex" was also an addition, maybe somebody's idea of a "fake" mixture, with the 2' stop being borrowed from it.) Do you know if the original action was mechanical or pneumatic?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

Octave Complex might just be octave coupler
                Violincello might actually be the original spelling (however incorrect we think it is)
                Sm. tided - possibly Sw to Ped (not swell to great as there already is one)
                Dulcinana is Dulciana

Comment

Here's the original list, sorted by 1 and 2, in standard pitch/dynamic order. ? comes next; I assume that these are pedal stops. Then couplers. I moved the Tremolo to the Swell; I assume that's where it belongs. The suggested corrections to date, from various people, follow each line.

This list won't tell you how the stops were arranged on the organ, unfortunately.

I Open Diapason 8
                  I Melodia 8
                  1 Dulcinana 8 --- I Dulciana 8
                  I Gamba 8
                  I Octave 4
                  I Flute Damoux 4 --- Flute D'amour 4
                  Great Super Octave 2 --- Should this be "I Great SuperOctave 2"? That would make it a 2' stop, rather than an octave coupler.

2 Violin Diapason 8
                  2 Salicional 8
                  2 Flute Harmonie 4 --- Flute Harmonic 4
                  Tremolo --- Moved to this position because I'm assuming that this would be a Swell stop.

? Bonxdon 16 --- (Ped) Bourdon 16
                  ? Violincello 8 --- (Ped) Violoncello 8? (Some question about spelling with an 'i' or an 'o'. I have the 'o' spelling on my reed organ.)
                  ?w Kieblich Gedackt 8 --- (Ped) Lieblich Gedackt 8

Swell to Great
                  (sorry - this one is odd...) Sm. tided. Conpler (huh?) --- Sw to Ped Coupler (seems to be the most likely option)
                  Great to Pedal
                  Octave Complex --- Octave Coupler (The serifs on some older, lower case 'r's make them look like 'x's.) (Would this be a Swell coupler, a Great coupler, or a Sw to Gt coupler? Anyone with more experience with these older, smaller instruments?)
                  Last edited by regeron; 01-20-2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
                    The Organ Historical Society maintains a database of many pipe organs, and lists 15 organs for "Pfeffer". There are several firms that include the name of Pfeffer, so look through the list carefully. It would help to know the original City where the organ was installed or the city where it was last installed.

See, in particular, these listings which have pictures of the stops--be sure to click on the small pictures to see them full sized: https://www.pipeorgandatabase.org/Or...p?OrganID=1203
                    https://www.pipeorgandatabase.org/Or...p?OrganID=1009
                    It's interesting to note the stop on the second instrument - "Octave Couplers" - plural. Does that mean that it would add the octave above for both manuals? Or something else?

Also worth noting: on the first organ, "Ped" is used for the pedal stops; on the second organ, "P" is used. The "P" is fancy enough that someone without experience reading old fonts could have trouble knowing what it was.

Comment

This second list makes tons of sense (the groupings being Great, Swell and Pedal, respectively). It now resembles typical stop lists of the era. I would suggest that perhaps the tremulant was listed separately because it affected the whole organ. I don't know this, of course, but it would not surprise me to find such on a small organ.

Comment

Working...
                      X