Why build an organ without any C#1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Havoc View Post
    Anyone can name a piece that actually uses this note? A piece in its key it was written in.
    Well that's an interesting point. I expected it to be common, but a quick page through a few books of Bach Chorale Preludes revealed only one C#1 that I could find...Christus, der uns selig macht, BWV 620.

Comment

Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post
      The bolded. Period. Period. In the 17th Century a C# was not a theoretical concept. In a small monastery in Italy there was good reason to eliminate one or even two C#'s in the lowest octaves. The reason then was economy and the reason now is economy.
      To be honest I'm not sure that the reason was entirely economy, as even on the largest of instruments, such as the one at the Palace of Versailles, the low C# is still missing. And if it was economy, why would they then go to all the trouble to build pipes down to the 16' and 32' low A for the reeds on the pedal? And as for having a historical compass on new instruments such as that one, why would you need a full 61 notes anyway? It's not like the're going to be playing Widor's toccata on that organ, or for choral accompaniment of the type that they would be doing they don't need any more. When looking at organs such as these you really do have to look at the context that they find themselves in.

Comment

Not sure I know what to say with this thread. Check the links I provided. It explains exactly why there is no C# (not really a C#) on the keyboards or pedals for that matter.

Michael

P.S. F# really isn't F# either!
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Working...
        X