Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning for organ "tour" of London (and vicinity)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for organ "tour" of London (and vicinity)

Helllo all. I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to the UK and want to make sure I get to listen to at least some of the many great organs there. So, I thought I'd crowdsource a "tour" of the organs in London as well as cities/towns nearby (no precise limit on distance - I can figure that out later). St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral all come to mind, but I'm a firm believer that I don't know what I don't know, so here we are. Preference to churches with regular perfromances (so that I can actually hear the instruments), and of course lesser known jewels.

I am familiar with two good resources (https://www.londonorgan.co.uk/ and http://www.organrecitals.com), but wanted narrow down the options based on your recommendations of organs you've heard (or played).
    Last edited by amenadeo; 04-23-2018, 11:44 AM. Reason: clarity

I've visited the UK several times and plan to go back this summer. To be honest, I haven't made a great study of the organs, but have certainly enjoyed attending services at both Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's while in London. The lovely organs in both churches are certainly a part of what I love about those services. I hear that Southwark Cathedral has a great organ, very recently renovated by Harrison & Harrison, and I hope to attend a service or recital there this summer if possible.

We attended a service at Gloucester Cathedral a few years ago and enjoyed it tremendously as well. I thought the organ acquitted itself well And we always attend a service or two at the York Minster. Neither of those organs might be listed among the top ten in the UK, but in both cases I was greatly taken with the sound and found the music inspiring. Great choirs too, as well as beautifully executed worship.

As I said though, I haven't done much serious study of the organs in England, as my vacations there have been largely for the pleasure of my wife, who loves English history and has a passion for the Yorkshire Dales, where we often spend much of our time while over there. So perhaps others who have more direct experience with the organ scene in the UK will offer more advice.

I'll just say that you are in for a real treat, even if you only manage to take in a few of the great churches and their excellent organs. It may be hard to find one that you WON'T like!
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

John,

Share your thread with him!

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Michael,

I'm a real dummy when it comes to searching the forum. If you can find that thread feel free to post a link here ;-)

I might add that nearly all the cathedrals and large churches have Evensong nightly, or at least some nights of the week, and most of the time the service will include music from the choir and organ. Check their website before attending to make sure you are going to a service that includes music, as now and then they give the musicians a night off and only do a "said" service. So that's a handy way of hearing the organs in actual usage, and there is never an admission fee to attend Evensong or any other worship service.
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
        X