This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "3 Rank" ?

Could someone in the know give me some idea of the size or scope and or capabilities of a "3 rank" pipe organ? I've got a guy who might be able to get me one reasonably. What would be involved in relocating such a thing? Thanks.

Re: "3 Rank" ?

a 3 rank organ is probably this:...if its unitized:

Gedeckts unified from 16' to possilby 2' (to get a 2 2/3' Nazard out of it)

Diapason 16/8/4 & maybe 2'

Salicional (or Dulciana possibly)maybe 16'/8'/4'. the 16' stops on the diapason & salicional might only be tenor C.

Can get alot of stops out of 3 ranks if its unified to the max...at least 12 stops
    My Reuter is 5 ranks, but I see 4 and 3 ranks on occasion: I highy doubt it would have a reed, but anything is possible.

Comment

There are several other ways that IIIs can go. A continuo organ is as easy to move as a piano. It would typically consist of 8' stopped flute, a 4' rhoreflute, and a 2' Principle. I know a 1900 tracker with a 16' Bourdon/Gedect that uses tubular pneumatic duplex connections for the 16' pedal, and on the single manual operates the 8' gedect by tracker, along with a (TC) 8' diapason and (TC) 8' dulciana. These are divided into treble and bass stops, and has a manual octave coupler and a manual to pedal coupler. Now that is heavier and larger, but still easy to transport.

A small but very adequate theatre organ would be made with Tibia 16'-1' including common fractionals, viola 8'-4', and Vox Humana 8'-4'.

Lee

Comment

What are the ranks in this 5 rank Reuter?

Thanks,

James

Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
        Baldwin Spinet 58R
        Lowrey Spinet SCL
        Wurlitzer 4100A
        Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
        Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
        Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Hello,

There is a three-rank instrument by Estey which was installed in a Church in Fairhaven, MA that is now in storage. This organ quite properly features a Flute, String, and Diapason rank. The spec can be seen at the following page:

http://www.esteyorgan.com/Opus3242.html

As far as I know, this instrument is still available free to a good home.

Best,

Nathan

Comment

my 5 ranks are:

gedeckt, salicional, dulciana, oboe & diapason.

complete stoplist and recordings & photos on installing it at:

http://www.reuter822.com/

an MP3 of the them to Superman on 5 ranks unitized to the max:

http://www.reuter822.com/psuper.html

Comment

Thanks KleinErzahler,

I had a look and sent them an email. This is, of course, looking a year or three down the road till we have our own building... But, "Where there is no vision the people perish" []

Still waiting to hear back from the original chap who emailed me about the one still up and running that's available. time'll tell.

Comment

Possibly the best example of a 3 rank organ was the Moller Artiste. The large majority of these organs were 3 ranks and unitized to the max and crambed into a little box. I had one in my dining room for several years. There is a small church in Atlanta that has an Artiste with chimes that works fairly well in a small room. Now, the double-artiste was a whole different dog. It was 7 ranks and had a 16 foot tompette in the pedal. My 16' reed in the pedal came from a Double Artiste. One example of the Artiste was a cabinet that would roll under a standard 7 foot door facing. You could put it any where in the house!!!

Nothing wrong with a 3 rank organ as long as it's unitized......just like NYCFarmboy has already said. There's a rebuilt one for sale now on the Organ Trader......asking price of $15,000. That's a bit much for that organ. I paid $2,300 for mine.

Comment

Don, I love the Moller Artiste. What a useful and delightful instrument to play. You could get quite a bit out of those, and they didn't take a whole lot of space.

Comment

[quote user="KleinErzahler"]

Hello,

There is a three-rank instrument by Estey which was installed in a Church in Fairhaven, MA that is now in storage. This organ quite properly features a Flute, String, and Diapason rank. The spec can be seen at the following page:

http://www.esteyorgan.com/Opus3242.html

As far as I know, this instrument is still available free to a good home.

Best,

Nathan

[/quote]

I actually talked to the owner of the organ and he will not let it go to a residence. He wants to see it in a church or institute. Would be a PEFECT residence organ (with the addition of a celeste of course!)

Comment

Wicks also made a three rank called a "fuga deluxe". Kevin Cartwright has one installed in his home in Alabama. He added the bottom 12 of the string and a vox humana to the organ. His website is www.theatreorgans.com/alabama/greenville.

You could also have:

8'-4' Diapason

16'-2' Gedeckt

8' Oboe (or small Trumpet perhaps?)

There seems to be endless possibilities for ranks in a three rank organ.

Comment

Well, the first organ I mentioned is gone.

The Estey people never returned my email. Better to let the organ moulder away than see it put into service I guess. From what I understand here a3 rank would serve a medium sized chapel well under most circumstances?

Comment

a very interesting Wicks in Baltimore:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wicks-Portable-P...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

[quote user="PrayerBookAnglican"]

From what I understand here a3 rank would serve a medium sized chapel well under most circumstances?

[/quote]

That very much depends on scaling and voicing. An organ of even 8 ranks that was built for a small living areawould not have the umph to carry a medium (200 capacity?) chapel. It might be revoiced, but not so easily rescaled.

On the other hand, III could be builtfor a very full sound, though the ability to offer any variety in softer tones would be greatly limited.

At least five unified ranks would be minimal in my mind: Principal, Flute, string, soft celeste, and reed. Better still would be the addition of a Mixture II-III over the central three octaves and exteded by duplication to the two extreme octaves.[A] These optionscan often be foundat prices as reasonable as 3 ranks.

Lee

Comment

Re: Baltimore wicks:

Interesting indeed. It shows what can be done with only two ranks. (bourdon/Gedect 16' 73 or 85 pipes, and Gemshorn/Sprtzprinziple 4' 61 pipes). Advertised as "Portable" Perhaps "Moveable" would be a better choice -like three 9' grands.[sn]

Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X