Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AllenAnalog
    replied
    Carnac the Magnificent (reincarnated as regeron) sees all.
    Last edited by AllenAnalog; 08-29-2019, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• regeron
    replied
    Originally posted by regeron View Post
    On the Conference Center organ, could they be there to allow you to make the expressive divisions adjustable by the various swell shoes? For example, if I put all the expressive divisions on the first swell shoe (or whatever happens to be the most convenient one), that's the only one I'd have to worry about to open and close all the boxes, rather than have my foot/feet on all the swell shoes?
    - - - Updated - - -
    On CC's M&O organ, there are 5 manuals and only 3 swell shoes (assuming that the fourth is a crescendo pedal. That means he needs the ability to assign any of the five manuals to one or more of the 3 swell shoes.

It could be, too, that some or all of the pedal is under expression.
    Just reposting my comment #9 from November 2018.... Could it be that I guessed right back then? B-) [All said in a humble sort of way. O:-)]

Leave a comment:

• davidecasteel
    replied
    Originally posted by myorgan View Post
    Those would be cold calls! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.:devil:

Michael
    Ha! I had exactly the same thought!

David

Leave a comment:

• Stravinsky416
    replied
    Having played this organ on Tuesday, I would just like to add that these mini drawknobs are the cutest things ever in person. They are so tiny!

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent information to have, Stravinsky416! It's interesting to see how controls vary from instrument to instrument, as well as innovative controls created to allow specific control options on larger instruments. Thanks for sharing.

Michael

• Stravinsky416
    replied
    Promised photo of diagram

Leave a comment:

• AllenAnalog
    commented on 's reply
    Both the Wanamaker and Atlantic City organs have variable speed tremulants. Curator Curt Mangel devised a system to put the speed control on a swell shoe for the Wanamaker organ when they upgraded it from the original mechanical system. I suspect that's where Jack got the idea for the Conference Center organ.

• Stravinsky416
    commented on 's reply
    Photo will be added as soon as I can make it work

• Stravinsky416
    replied
    I have just been reading the book Magnum Opus: The Building of the Schoenstein Organ at the Conference Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Salt Lake City by John Longhurst. In it he describes the process of designing the system that controls which devisions that are controlled by each shoe and gives a diagram of the console controls. Each grouping represents a shoe. The last shoe is by default a crescendo pedal, but it can be overridden by the Grand Solo, and both can be overridden by the Variable Tremulants. There is a piston for the standard expression layout and six pistons labeled A-F for presets of just this system. Key: OR=Orchestral GS=Grand Solo SO=Solo MI=MIDI CH=Choir SW=Swell.

Leave a comment:

• AllenAnalog
    replied
    That type of system is found on the Atlantic City and Wanamaker consoles. Jack Bethards, the owner of Schoenstein, is quite familiar with the Atlantic City organs since he helped with an evaluation of them many years ago.

Here's a photo I took of one the banks of expression selectors on the Atlantic City Midmer-Losh console. The Reverse" tabs allow you to set up a pan, with one group of shades opening while another group closes as you press down on that expression pedal. The three tabs visible on the right side of the photo are part of the next group of selectors for swell pedal #6.

Leave a comment:

• samibe
    replied
    I contacted Schoenstein and asked about the mini stops. The mini stops are expression selectors. They are grouped by expression shoe. So the swell shades for each division can be controlled by any expression shoe.

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by Admin View Post
    He won't be responding to any cold calls, however, as he's been dead for over 30 years.
    Those would be cold calls! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.:devil:

I looked at the photos, and as already stated, the photos are a bit too dark and blurry to read. So, we wait for more information.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• voet
    replied
    Yesterday I looked at the series of videos that Cameron Carpenter did about Marshall & Ogletree Opus 4 in Middle Collegiate Church in NYC. I believe there are 5 videos that demonstrate the stops from each division of the organ. There are a number of unique controls that he explains that do things like access the additional stops that do not have drawknobs. There is also a neat button that will silence the celeste sounding stops. As he explains, this allows access to a string without it's corresponding celeste.

I cannot say with certainty that this is what the buttons are that the OP asked about, but I thought it might be a possibility. Here is the link to the first video in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_27WoAcqe8

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    Originally posted by Leisesturm View Post
    Not sure who Mr. Schreiner is (the LDS Conference organist?) and how responsive he might be to cold calls about the instrument
    Dr. Schreiner was one of my first organist heroes and I still play pieces from his collection Twenty-Five Pieces for Small Organ that were assigned to me as beginning organ student. He recorded for Columbia with his best known album titled, The Great Organ at the Mormon Tabernacle, which I still have in my vinyl collection.

He won't be responding to any cold calls, however, as he's been dead for over 30 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Schreiner

Leave a comment:

• samibe
    replied
    From the video that Larry referenced, I got this screenshot.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CCO mini stops.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	606738
    It's a bit out of focus but it almost looks like each of the knobs has a two letter division indicator CH (for Choir), GT (Great), SW, (Swell), etc. Leisestrum might be on the right track with his idea of them being coupler status indicators.

From a different video I got this view of some of them (along with a GoPro mounted under the music desk).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CCO mini stops2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	606739
    They definitely look like miniature drawknobs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X